Thread: Musings, permeations, tabulations and other thoughts

Real Name
    Chris

Musings, permeations, tabulations and other thoughts

A little divergence in thought, here as I reflect on a very bountiful and busy two weeks in which I won or tied for first in nine competitions. In one aspect, winning was an affirmation by my peers I was finally on the right track in my development both as a photographer and as a post productionist. In a second, and far more introspective reflection, I have begun to wonder if I am really learning or merely working toward the win and I fear the latter as I found this last weekend, I was still struggling with things that should be coming to me far more naturally. It is sort of a bittersweet success.

Pops and Donald hit upon this recently in response to Katy’s “More Winter” thread (in an odd sort of way, but in a way that talked to me) in saying that what we learn today is good for today and tomorrow is a whole new lesson. There is a lot of truth to that sentiment and to Donald’s musings that we tend to do far too much racing forward when we should be sitting back and soaking it in for understanding and perhaps, pointed introspection.

Digital is a wondrous invention as it does allow for shoot, reshoot, re-shoot again and again until we get our wanted effect. I think instead, perhaps I need to stop ever so often and literally smell the roses I am shooting. In the last three days, I’ve only shot eight frames and done post production on two others I’ve held back to practice with. I am certainly not suggesting everyone stop shooting or drop Photoshop for a walk through the proverbial bed of roses but I am suggesting that one should take time to allow the learned things to permeate rather than just sit on the surface. For me, I am going back to the basics and really concentrating on focus, aperture, focal length, shutter, light and other camera operations, while as well, cracking open a few of the amassed PS books. I am going to relearn and come at this with a more directed focus.

I still have a few images to post, but soon the larder will be empty and I suspect it will be awhile before I refill it. I thank everyone who has voted for my images and want you to know they were shot from the heart and soul but I need to have it more right within me and know that what I am presenting also comes from artistry and knowledge. I won’t be far from the threads, and will continue to post images for critique and comment but my competition posting days are going to slow considerably…it has been fun; I feel quite honored to be among this fine group of fellow photographers.

Collectively, you have all taught me so much….and yet…so much to learn…so much to learn. TTFN

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Musings, permeations, tabulations and other thoughts

Once in a while, we go to some stage of introspection. Maybe, this is your time. I bet after this you'll post more intimate and engaging images based on what you have learned. All is good, bruddah.

Real Name
    Peter

Well Chris I have seen an amazing change in your work from day 1 and have enjoyed the journey so firstly thank you for sharing.

Secondly it is important to put the camera down (so to speak) at times and remember to take it all in for what it is. Sometimes we spend so much time looking through the viewfinder we forget to see the big picture.

I am sure that through continued comment on others contributions you will grow even further in your own photography and I look forward to seeing your future contributions.

Real Name
    Paul

Chris, I have to say I get what you are saying. I have come to some of those same cross-roads. I agree with both Jiro and Peter and look forward to seeing the fruit of the growth you gain.

Very cool thoughts, Chris!

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

Everybody has there own interpretation of the value of what they do, it is a healthy thing we do when we stop and reflect. Self examination promotes growth, harmony and clarity. I am sure you will see this in your work, but more importantly you will feel this about your work.

Real Name
    Steve

My creative cycle has highs and lows and always has (I was into drawing prior to photography).
    It's a lot like sex. Everyone likes sex. Some of us are actually good at it (or at least think we are). But face it, sometimes we have a headache. Or someone else has a headache. Or we forgot our anniversary. Or we're in a public place. Or the kids are in the back seat. No matter how much you like sex you just can't have sex all the time. That does mean we won't want to have sex tomorrow or next week or next month. That's just how it goes. We all need to recharge our batteries every so often (or buy new ones).

Don't fight the ebb and flow of creative energy. Just ride it out and remember - if it ain't fun, don't do it.
    I apologize if I've offended anyone. I just turned fifty so I can officially use dementia as an excuse.

Oh, and if I neglected to say so before Chris, I've enjoyed your images and look forward to more sex - er, photos soon!

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by sleist View Post
    It's a lot like sex.
    Yeh .......... I think I remember that!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    A little divergence in thought, here as I reflect on a very bountiful and busy two weeks in which I won or tied for first in nine competitions.
    I'll soon put an end to that when I start rolling out my high quality bird shots...

Darling, where did I put my 1000mm lens...

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I'll soon put an end to that when I start rolling out my high quality bird shots...

Darling, where did I put my 1000mm lens...
    Ya, well I've come in 4th more times than I can count. I've got mediocrity down to a science!
    I don't take it personal though. I just blame the Russian judge.

By the way Rob, there's a contract out on all you cameras. Good luck with that 1000mm.
    Maybe you can throw it at a bird.

Real Name
    Mark

Chris, thanks for your thoughtful post. I can see myself in your words...........which is a bit creepy but there you go!

I too have a "larder" of images I'm proud of but I hesitate to post them in the mini comps because like you, I'll run out soonish and with my strike rate of "a day out/images taken/keepers found" I'll never catch up.

I'm also not sure what is actually learnt in winning these comps. Great for the ego but.......

I find posting for C&C is a far better way to improve and I actually find it even more educational to read C&C of images posted by others. The insights in equipment, places, technique, etc is fantastic. Of course this itself is a tad intimidating when I'm tempted to add comment myself, especially after reading the deep and meaningful, and insightful comment made by other forum members.

But its all about learning and growing isn't it.