Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kids ... who needs 'em?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Kids ... who needs 'em?

Fun shoot in the studio with #1 daughter today ...

2m x 0.5m strip light for key (to camera right), hard light to camera left (behind subject) with barn doors, large rectangular softbox to camera left (in front of subject) for fill.

Kids ... who needs 'em?

Real Name
    Doug

Re: Kids ... who needs 'em?

I like it. The lighting could be a bit less intense to soften the image a bit more. The rest is very nicely captured.

I have heard most of those tracks before.

Real Name
    Kay

Perfect - no call for 'soft' lighting here -.......oh and have you heard "things are gong to change around here when I turn a8"
    it's a classic

p.s - they did too....I got tougher.....adult rights = adult responsibilities I do believe I have been heard to mutter from time to time

Real Name
    Paul

Timeless classics right there. Don't forget......."But, you let XXXXXX do it" or " I was just going to"

Real Name
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Perfect - no call for 'soft' lighting here
    We're both free to our own opinions.

Real Name

Thanks folks,

The light was pretty soft anyway (as one might expect with a 2m high light source), but I still wanted to try and make it "edgy" (boxing shots aren't normally in the same lighting "genre" as romantic portraits) ... so I went for a soft but directional light first ... added the kicker light (deliberately left hard), and then just upped a fill light until I had the shadow detail I wanted.

In the end it was a bit less contrasty than I originally planned (which was more a function of the subject moving in relation to some flags I'd setup to block a portion of the light). Also, softer light wouldn't really show the "sweat" (which is hard to see here anyway).

Here's a 50% crop to give you an idea of the detail we're working with (click to view full size) ...

Kids ... who needs 'em?

Later on "Slugger" had a more sedate finish to the day, reading a book under a tree ...

Kids ... who needs 'em?
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 6th February 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Two beauties, Colin. I do like that approach you have taken to the 'reading under the tree' shot. My compliments too to A J. She's grown up to be a very lovely young woman - must take after her mother!!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Two beauties, Colin. I do like that approach you have taken to the 'reading under the tree' shot. My compliments too to A J. She's grown up to be a very lovely young woman - must take after her mother!!
    Thanks Donald,

The "under the tree" shot is something she needs to do for something at school ... I'll let you know what mark I get!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by DTruex View Post
    We're both free to our own opinions.
    Absolutely Doug - Sorry I sort of jump in a bit with my posts as if I'm already half way through a conversation with Colin - as I seem to be often....so in this instance I should have said - 'I prefer it a certain way', as opposed to the way I did put it.
    Regards
    Kay

Real Name
    neil

yes i like these... good to see something a little different.

there are always different views on photos... as for the lighting in 1 I think it is ok but...... more serious matters.. in 2 most certainly, definitely, 100% for sure, those toes are getting too close to the edge .... also the grey text is a little lost at the bottom of the shot?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tihsgod View Post
    in 2 most certainly, definitely, 100% for sure, those toes are getting too close to the edge
    Hi Neil,

There's actually a bit of a story behind that ... originally I was told that they had to come up with a CD cover (which is a 1:1 aspect ratio) - so I had to get her to bring her legs up whilst I composed for a square format ... then I'm told that "the teacher said no bigger than A5" ... and of course A5 is a completely different aspect ratio. So in the end I just made it into a DVD cover.

.... also the grey text is a little lost at the bottom of the shot?
    Possibly - it's just a throw-away shot, so I'm not too worried

Real Name
    neil

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Neil,
    then I'm told that "the teacher said no bigger than A5" ... and of course A5 is a completely different aspect ratio. So in the end I just made it into a DVD cover.
    Colin, that would really irritate me.. what would we do without teachers
    neil