Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: iraq sunset.

iraq sunset.

well i took some advice and took pictures of the sunset and it is so much better. i took so many pictures diff angles places etc and these two shots i thought looked real good. these are unedited. shot in RAW on my nikon d90 and then converted to jpeg. let me know what you think.
    iraq sunset.
    iraq sunset.

Re: iraq sunset.

how about some C&C

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

1. You certainly captured the nice drama of light on the sky. Typically, for good composition, people who write photography books recommend that you position the horizon 1/3 from the bottom or 1/3 from the top of the frame. I decided to make a copy of your image and superimposed the 1/3 rule guides so you can further understand the idea.

iraq sunset.

As you would notice, the horizon now sits at the 1/3 horizontal line from the bottom of the frame. Also, since the communications antenna inside the frame does not seem to help much on the composition, I decided to clone it out using photoshop. Hope this helps. Wait for the others to give their comments so you can learn more from them.

I like sunsets to have some other interest factor too, like a reflection in the water, a person or animal showing peace/love, etc or an interesting shaped building/statue that the person looking can leave the picture picking up a feeling. I cant see what your foreground is and miss this. To me the photo has great colour etc but to make it great not good it needs an alternate focal point. Just my point of view but I hope it helps.