Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First try at insects

First try at insects

First try at insects

First try at insects

First try at insects

The second photo i played with using Photomatix because i was bored. I kinda like how it turned out. Any thoughts? Thanks

Real Name
    Peter

Re: First try at insects

Hi Brad,

Macro is a lot of fun. The main problem with macro and one of its features as well is the shallow DOF, which makes focusing critical.

Ignoring #2 the focus on the others is on the back of the insect and not its head. No matter how big or small a person or insect is the eyes are important and need to be in focus and sharp.

You might check and see what focus mode you use because with macro you need single area focus so you can choose what you want sharp.

Now you have stared you will never stop.

The only exception to Peter's focusing advice is if you are photographing an insect for identification and need to concentrate on a specific area of it's body. And are willing to accept that it isn't being photographed for 'hang on the wall' reasons.

The third image does have a bit of 'noise' in the grey band. I find that careful use of the Blur Tool can usually reduce this effect.

And yes, keep photographing; and spending more and more money - that's macro photography for you!
    Last edited by Geoff F; 3rd February 2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: extra line

Real Name
    Yegor

So, I think, it is necessary to try to be focused properly and under proper angle. I like communication with a background and quality of a shot
    And whatr a miracle in the third picture - it is is unclear

On the spider pic, I like the fact that the background is a similar colour but the spider stands out. It is effective. I also like the angle of the spider. Moment was great for a photo. So although the focussing was not 100%, the overall pics are interesting and show an eye for this.

Real Name
    hashim

First try at insects