Thread: Need help selecting telephoto lens

Need help selecting telephoto lens

Hi all
    Im totaly new to all this but have just bought a Cannon Eos 100D camera and want a decent low price telephoto lens. Can i buy any or does it have to be a Cannon? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (around £100 mark).

Cheers.
    Stu

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: lenses..first post

Hi Stu,

Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us

I'm assuming you mean a Canon 1000D? (Cannons are military artillery that fire balls of steel, and Canon made a 10D, and make a 1000D, but not a 100D to the best of my knowledge).

You should probably be looking more at a Telephoto Zoom lens, but it would be helpful to know the kinds of things you'd like to be shooting before we start suggesting focal lengths etc.

Real Name
    Kathy

It doesn't have to be Canon, but it does have to be compatible with the Canon EOS mount. So, you can buy Canon, but you can also look at Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma lenses in the Canon mount. These third party manufacturers may make the same lens for multiple mounts, so just be sure you've got the Canon version, not the Nikon, Pentax, Sony, or Olympus versions.

Your budget, however, is likely to be your biggest limiting factor, and I'm not sure there's much in that price range. The best (new) low-cost alternatives I can think of are the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS, or the Sigma 70-300, which are about £200.

Real Name

If all else fails, there's always the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Real Name
    Kathy

Still over the stated budget at £127.93 (amazon.uk). And can't help thinking the extra £20 might be worth it just for the IS and better sharpness on the 55-250.

(Knew the prices I was seeing were high. I stupidly looked at Jessops.co.uk. Amazon.uk's got the 55-250 IS for £151.50.)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Still over the stated budget at £127.93 (amazon.uk).
    They're a dime a dozen 2nd hand though ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-351312715.htm

Cheers Colin, sorry for the spelling: i was juggling face-book at the time. Im interested in increasing focal length to get shots from farther away, but the main aim of the post (as i now know fro the other comments) was to find out about mounts. And since i practice Bushcraft and survival techniques, I already have enough means to fire projectiles and then dress the end result so a "cannon" may be overkill..literally haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Stu,

Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us

I'm assuming you mean a Canon 1000D? (Cannons are military artillery that fire balls of steel, and Canon made a 10D, and make a 1000D, but not a 100D to the best of my knowledge).

You should probably be looking more at a Telephoto Zoom lens, but it would be helpful to know the kinds of things you'd like to be shooting before we start suggesting focal lengths etc.

Real Name

Does it come with a falk lift truck ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

Real Name
    Richard

This is an older Sigma Lens... You might be able to find one under your budget...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18145257

I haven't used the Canon 55-250 myself but it does get reasonable reviews for the price http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/19...report--review but it is something of a price/build compromise so will need reasonably careful use.

But the recommended ideal use lenses are way above your budget. One cheapie which I wouldn't recommend is the Sigma 28-300 which I once briefly owned because it came attached to a secondhand camera body.

Real Name
    Tord S Eriksson

Re: Need help selecting telephoto lens

You might find something suitable at Ffordes ( http://www.ffordes.co.uk/ ), if you live in Europe. They sell both new and used equipment, and have been excellent in every way.

All the best,

Tord

PS I love my Tamron 70-200/2.8, which also is a competent macro :-)! Sadly it probably is beyond your price limit!