Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Several that will go in the "Quien Sabe" (Who Knows) department

Real Name
    Chris

Several that will go in the "Quien Sabe" (Who Knows) department

Went to visit a friend and his wife in Pensacola while my other Mini was being serviced because I know them to have a rather unique house. Most of the images presented in this small thread were taken in exceptionally low light and since I did not have my tripod with me, I shot using ISO 6400, just for the heck of it.

6400 ISO does change some of the subtle tonal and line details but in doing so, also creates a whole new structured grain pattern, one I think I am going to explore tomorrow in Silver Efex Pro. The only image in this group not shot at 6400 is the one of my friend, Steve admiring his own eccletic tastes, which was shot at 1250.

Tribute to Carol Kane, aka, the Ghost of Christmas Present

Rag Dolling Holding a Rag Kitty Several that will go in the "Quien Sabe" (Who Knows) department

Faux Sunnies

Let the Sun Shine In

Eccletically, Yours
    Last edited by MiniChris; 29th January 2011 at 06:36 AM.

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Several that will go in the "Quien Sabe" (Who Knows) department

Hey Chris

Your friend has some wonderful items. I love the last photo with him admiring his goodies. No 2 screams vintage texture to me - maybe a bit predictable but I think it would work nicely. I think you'll have fun playing with 3 and 4 as well. Nice compositions, good colour, the grain is really nice and I think they'll work well with textures as well. But...that may not be to your taste.

I keep going to back to the last photo - those cocktail shakers would be very interesting items to play with.

Good stuff.

R

PS I've never owned a Mini but I have owned a Morris 1100 and a MG BGT.
    Last edited by Camellia; 29th January 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Several that will go in the "Quien Sabe" (Who Knows) department

Thanks, Raylee. There are so many reflective things in his house to shoot, you could blow an 8GB card in one sitting with tons left to shoot. The shot of Steve's reflection was one of those serendipitous moments when you turn to listen to someone talking and there's the shot. I had to do some work in the color balance department to get his skin tones to balance with the reflections but that was a good learning experience.
    There was a time in my younger days when I was a British car fanatic (I guess, I still am) when I had Bug-Eye Sprites, MG Midgets, one or two MGB's and a small herd of Minis. by and large, British cars are a pain to work on and the electrical systems...Oy Vey! But, there's just something about them.
    You guys Down Under have a Vauxhall that if i could legally import into the US, I would have one in a heartbeat...

For all the texture stuff you like to work with, try bumping that ISO way up and shoot in real low light. I used several luminosity layers to soften the grain in a couple of the photos, #2 and #3 but left it strong in a monochrome piece I am playing with. Either or, the strength of the noise as an added artistic element is rather striking. I have a few more yet to come from that visit.