Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Other End

Real Name
    er, Larry

The Other End

98% of the pics of Mesa Arch at sunrise are of the left hand side - this is the "other end" - processed in 2010, captured in 2007 in Arches NP, Utah

Enjoy
    C&C welcome and appreciated.

The Other End

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: The Other End

That's stunning Larry...

It almost looks like the arch is spanning a lava flow or something on the other side of the foreground rocks! Awesome colouring!

Real Name
    Richard

Very nice shot. As I opened the image, the sky at the top was cropped off by my monitor. I think that I actually like the image a TAD better without the bright sky at the top. It tends to distract my attention from the rest of the image...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Larry,

I see exactly what Richard means; despite losing the 'archy-ness' of it - there is a more pleasing image looking 'through the tunnel'.

Also (and I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't asked for C&C); I couldn't help noticing a soft spot on the top edge where it looks like something got cloned out after sharpening (just to the right of dead centre) or am I mistaken?

Awesome place, don't think I have ever been anywhere like that in my life, the European alps are probably 'small fry' compared to this kind of landscape.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chris

The Alps are so completely different from The Arches and Moab, and if you drift down another few hundred miles, you get to Zion NP which is equally impressive yet, it too is different. The only place on this side of the world I think which compares to the Alps is Banff NP in Canada...

When I retire for the last time (soon-very-very- soon), I plan to spend at least 6 months doing nothing but shooting from the Arches, south...Great photo, Larry!

Real Name
    Robin

Fantastic light.

Have you tried cropping out the sky from the top of the image?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Larry

I agree with the comments above that this is a mightily impressive image. I, too, think Richard has called it right in relation to getting rid of the sky. I've been sitting for the last few minutes just rolling the image up and down so that the sky a) shows, b) doesn't show in my browser.

I think the 'no sky' view throws much more attention onto the view through the arch, which is stunning. My compliments.

Real Name
    Richard

I have shot many times in the State of Utah but, for some strange reason, I have never made it to the Arches N.P.! Something has always prevented me from visiting there, usually the weather.

Utah is one of the most beautiful of our states. It is a marvelous place to visit and revisit. I just love shooting there.

Another wonderful, off the beaten track, area of Utah is Kodachrome Basin Utah State Park. However, the problem with photographing that area is that it is really far from anywhere. It is best to shoot the Kodachrome Basin (which was "discovered" and named by National Geographic photographers) either right after sunrise or at the magic hour just before sunset.

In effect, that means that you really need to stay at the Park in order to be there at the best times for shooting without driving many miles in the dark (driving before sunrise or after sunset). Luckily, there is a campground there with sites available for both Tents and R.V.'s. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/kodachrome

Real Name
    Pops

One of my favorite Utah places to wander was Cedar Breaks. I grew up in Southern Nevada and spent many happy hours and days wandering about in the tri-states.

Pops

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice...I like the crop/angle.

Chuck

Real Name
    Andy Pritchard

I love this one Larry

Andy

Real Name
    er, Larry

Hey everybody, thanks for looking and for the comments. Will be gone for a couple of weeks but will have to try cropping out the sky as suggested. Also, Dave, what an eye - when I first posted this on "another forum", there was a bush/small tree growing on top of the arch. It was distracting to several people, so I cloned it out - can't believe you picked up on that