Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can't decide

Real Name
    Wendy

Can't decide

I'm having trouble deciding which of the two below I like best. I'd appreciate some feedback and or suggestions.
    EXIF: Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/400s: f16: ISO 400: 200mm

Can't decide

Can't decide

Thanks
    Wendy

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Can't decide

Hi Wendy,

When the first image opened on my screen, all I could see was the tree and it was instant love for me. Image two, not so much. Which makes me wonder if it is a question of getting the right crop on image two, i.e. taking something off the top or bottom? Your work has become very Zen. I like it.

Real Name
    Tim

Maybe because I live in an environment that is often all white, I find the first one the better image, but not believable. If you brought the sky down, no easy task I know, to define the snowbank similarly to the one in front, it would look like something I could possibly see in real life. I am starting to understand that the experience of the audience for an image has a lot to do with its interpretation, but I would try for more authenticity, if it were me, but it's not, it's you, and you have your own art in mind to create.

Definitely No2 for me Wendy. No1 seems to be giving more just for the sake of giving more. I am not saying it is not a good shot but next to the second image it simply does not stand up. I love the translucence of the background. The only improvement I can see would be to clone out the smaller stick of brushwood on the left. This is certainly a gallery image.

Real Name
    Mike

I prefer the second one. I find the line of shrubs in the first a little distracting. I also agree that removing the single stick to the left would really help.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Definitely No2 for me Wendy. No1 seems to be giving more just for the sake of giving more. I am not saying it is not a good shot but next to the second image it simply does not stand up. I love the translucence of the background. The only improvement I can see would be to clone out the smaller stick of brushwood on the left. This is certainly a gallery image.
    I would merely repeat the same.

Real Name
    Kay

I really like both for different reasons - but agree that wee skinny stick on the left detracts and tries to grab your attention.

Real Name
    Peter

Well I must not be used to snow scences but I do prefer #1. I personally don't like the grey base to #2 whereas it is broken up with interest in #1.

Real Name
    hashim

i prefer the second one with emptiness and only one tree because it gives a very strong feeling of loneliness and sadness as well.

Real Name
    Al

To further complicate the decision, I have to vote with Peter; I like #1, but I also agree that the small sapling on the left needs to be removed in #1.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I really was not sure how this one would go over. I like it but I'm a little stressed out right now and figure it's only natural that it must be affecting my judgement

Hashim, we must be on the same wavelength - I'm glad I am not alone in sensing the loneliness and sadness in this photo.

The thing that was making it hard for me to decide (Steve, you hit the nail on the head) is that the second shot seemed too plain, so I tried to add more interest by getting something in the foreground. For me, it did not really work though but because of my state of mind right now I did not think the plain lonely tree would hold any interest at all for anyone else.

Here is the final edit, based on all the suggestions and comments in the post that mesh with my own preference. Thanks for the help people. I think the crop and getting rid of the small shrub are an improvement.

Can't decide

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Wendy, well now I like this one. You have removed some of the grey at the bottom and lightened the sky as well.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Peter, see what can be done with a little help from our friends.

Wendy

Real Name
    Janis

Absolutely gorgeous, Wendy. I liked the subtlety of the first version, but I like this one too. I'm not sure that you needed to take so much off the bottom, but still, it's gorgeous.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 1st February 2011 at 06:59 AM.

Real Name
    Mike

Actually, I preferred the original #2 with more grey at the bottom - it looked more balanced to me and gave more of a feeling of isolation of the tree. Removing the odd stick has really improved it, though.