Thread: In conversation with ... Dave Humphries

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ... Dave Humphries

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: Dave Humphries
    older: http://picasaweb.google.com/dhumphries1

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

I'm surprised I got away with it for so long; I must be really boring
    (Ed - Not at all. We've got to spread the really exciting ones across the series)

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

A long time ago, in a faraway galaxy, I left school a smidge over 16 and started an electronic engineering apprenticeship with the national telephone company (now BT - British Telecom).
    I stayed there 7 years, but they locked me in a telephone exchange (after being mobile), so I left for pastures new, which was the BBC on TV Outside Broadcasts. Did 8 years travelling the country making TV programmes, then moved into electronic maintenance when I had a young family growing up.
    Over the years, that has migrated into office based data management and web/intranet work, which I still enjoy - I have been lucky.

And what about your family life?

3 kids; my eldest has just taken her accountancy exams (good luck), my son, sadly for him becoming as nerdy as I was, is at Uni and there's one more daughter who has just discovered boys and passed her driving test
    (Ed - Many readers here will understand and sympathise)

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I have quite a few books, virtually none of which are fiction, although I have been known to enjoy a biography. Most are reference books on either web design or photography/pp.
    'Evening in' viewing would therefore be a film; sci-fi or action. Meal in; salt and pepper french stick and Tikka Masala - and yes, I dunk

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Listening to music (my iTunes download totals are embarrassing) and watching TV.

Editor's Pick 1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

Ooh, must be since I was about 6, my parents encouraged it starting from a box brownie, through various 120 roll film and 126 instamatic cameras. School, and just after, saw my sister and I join a camera club for a year or two. A darkroom was built in our attic, for colour printing with one of those new fangled dichroic colour filter enlargers. Over time this gave way to Ektachrome or (satisfying the 'need for speed') Fuji 400 colour transparency shooting. Then a long break with nothing more than family snaps with Nikon EM on print film.

We got a family P&S in 2005 and that just got me wanting more control, so a bridge camera with full manual and RAW followed in 2007 and finally a D5000 in May 2009 to get access to less DoF, wider dynamic range, etc.

There's actually a fair bit of photography, well PP, that can be done here at CiC - honing my skills on other people's pictures - I also learn something when I help someone out.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Anything I think I can do a good job of.

Any particular photographic influences?

I'm not really one to routinely read books or go to exhibitions, so most of my influence is from other CiC members (for example Kaskais for the sunset silhouette below). Occasionally someone will say 'have a look at these' and I do, but that's about as far as I go to see other's work. Perhaps another exception is if I want to improve a particular aspect of my photography, I might 'research the market' to see the standard I should be aiming for, I remember doing that for my cycling series back in 2009.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

Get me out more, possibly fill time and give me an interest when retirement, or similar, comes along - but for the moment, work is "an enjoyable challenge" which I hope will continue to pay the bills for a few years yet.

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

Keep CiC a friendly, fun and educational place for people to come and ask questions and learn and while that's the case, I'll continue to spend far too long here 'moderating' and helping people (except we're all so nice here that even the moderating is 99% just helping people 'with knobs on').

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Fujica ST-801 (unused for 30 years), Nikon EM, Fuji Finepix S6500 - first serious digicam after a Nikon point and shoot, bought in 2007.
    Nikon D5000 bought May 2009, with Nikon glass; 18-200mm, 70-300mm, 50mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.8 Macro, plus an assortment of s/h Nikon AI mount lenses which really don't work that well on a D5000. santa brought a macro focus rail gizmo and some reflectors, so I must use them in 2011.

Editor's Pick 2

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Lazy to average, maybe a bit above if I try hard, but you don't see me winning any comps, so that probably says it all about the reality

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Thought controlled would be handy, and 3D. I can see a lot of places where the technology will make it even easier for the less skilled to 'get lucky' - e.g. continuous record (ahead of clicking the shutter button), so even if you were late starting shooting a sequence, you could just roll back to before you hit the button and the exposures would all be there - great for action/wildlife and it's only what's on some of the profesional video making/recording kit today anyway.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Well, I moderate here, which is a pretty big deal timewise, but something I do because I enjoy helping others and seeing their skill develop, literally before my very eyes - you'll have to excuse the awful puns

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Absolutely! Painters have 'artistic licence' right? Everyone knows what it means, well photographers have licences for; dodging, burning, cloning, history brushing, etc.
    It is how they use these tools that makes the result art.
    Of course, I really shouldn't overlook the taking side of the equation, where the skillful use of; shutter speed, aperture, choice of focal length for angle of view and fine positioning for perspective.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Well, I never was an oil painting, and now I have middle age spread, so it isn't something I enjoy.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Concentrate on one genre of photography and get good at it - it does wonders for your confidence.
    The old saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none' definitely applies to the early days of anyone's photographic endeavours - so don't spread yourself too thin and be mediocre at everything.
    Of course, this is really just another way to encourage the 'practice, practice, practice' mantra.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Shot while on holiday in Tenerife in July 2009, the birds display was awesome, I attended 3 times over 2 days
    Unparalleled opportunities for bird in flight shots, some at very close range! I shot so many, there are still lots I have not PP'd - it was the first real test for the DSLR being a couple of months after I got it.

My other wildlife favourite subjects are insects; as close as I can get, either with a Macro lens, or as here, with the 70-300mm. I developed a technique for slowly getting closer, this took about half an hour and it was good to get the feeling that my behaviour observation and instinct for exploiting it paying off to get some good shots.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

People often say I'm 'weird', or 'silly', less commonly 'interesting' though, hmmmm! - that wasn't an answer was it?
    OK; (and I hate name droppers) I once met the Queen and when she asked me a question, I mis-understood it and gave a rubbish answer, so she probably also thought I was silly.

That's all we have time for Dave, but thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC.

My pleasure.

Click here to find the full list of interviews conducted in this 'In conversation with ...' series.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: In conversation with ... Dave Humphries

Gosh Dave, all this time together and I hardly knew you!

What were some of the BBC programs that you worked on that we might know?

Real Name
    Raylee

Nice to learn more about you Dave. I second Colin's request for some name-dropping on BBC programmes.

R

Real Name
    Ron

Nice to know you at last Dave
    ... but your ... "and give me an interest when retirement, or similar, comes along" ...
    I don't know where you will find the extra time when retired Dave. Seems that all the jobs I was allowed to put off over my 'working' years have finally come home to roost

I'm really glad to get to know you a little bit more, Dave. I really appreciate all of your gentlemanly patience with all of us - you're just super as a leader, here, at CiC! However, I never thought that you would be such a music junkie. What kind of music do you listen to? (and, just you never mind about the queen, eh?)

Real Name
    Chris

It's nice to know we have so many commonalities. Prior to teaching, in another lifetime, in another galaxy, far-far away, I was a documentary filmmaker with PBS...it paid horridly, so I did other things...but we both started with rudimentary equipment and in your case, have progressed admirably. Good interview and speaking for myself, I am so glad you are a mod...

Real Name
    Jim

Dave,

Thanks for sharing and for your work here as a mod.It's been a true pleasure interacting with you the past 2 years.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Gosh, I amazed at the response, thanks all (blush smilie)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Gosh Dave, all this time together and I hardly knew you!

What were some of the BBC programs that you worked on that we might know?
    Nice to learn more about you Dave. I second Colin's request for some name-dropping on BBC programmes.

R
    Ooooh, let me think;
    The PROMs at Royal Albert Hall,
    Eurovision Song Contest (1982 in Harrogate),
    Wimbledon (Tennis),
    Match of the Day (soccer),
    Mastermind (Quiz)
    Lots of 'domestic' (probably UK only in those days) programmes
    The Open Golf (Troon, Sandwich, somewhere else)
    Lots of other golf progs
    A lot of variety with a lot of 'staple' thrown in

Pretty much everything UK based, we didn't takes the technical vehicles abroad much in those days, far more common today though.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Nice to know you at last Dave
    ... but your ... "and give me an interest when retirement, or similar, comes along" ...
    I don't know where you will find the extra time when retired Dave. Seems that all the jobs I was allowed to put off over my 'working' years have finally come home to roost
    I have a fairly laid back missus in that department, I don't think it'll be a problem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I'm really glad to get to know you a little bit more, Dave. I really appreciate all of your gentlemanly patience with all of us - you're just super as a leader, here, at CiC! However, I never thought that you would be such a music junkie. What kind of music do you listen to? (and, just you never mind about the queen, eh?)
    Hi Katy,

Nothing 'high brow', mostly female artistes and pop/rock, hang on, just fire up iTunes ...

Most recently played:
    Maroon 5 (8 tracks)
    Imelda May (3)
    Lily Allen (4)
    Muse (6)
    Rilo Kiley (3)
    Duffy (5)
    Brandi Carlile (4)
    Christina Aguilera (2)
    Katy Perry (4)
    Missy Higgins (1)
    Ingrid Michaelson (5)
    Pixie Lott (1)
    Elton John (3)
    Cherie (1)

I could go on, and on, and on ....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Katy,

Nothing 'high brow', mostly female artistes and pop/rock, hang on, just fire up iTunes ...

Most recently played:
    Maroon 5 (8 tracks)
    Imelda May (3)
    Lily Allen (4)
    Muse (6)
    Rilo Kiley (3)
    Duffy (5)
    Brandi Carlile (4)
    Christina Aguilera (2)
    Katy Perry (4)
    Missy Higgins (1)
    Ingrid Michaelson (5)
    Pixie Lott (1)
    Elton John (3)
    Cherie (1)

I could go on, and on, and on ....
    I've heard of Elton John! I think I may have missed out on crucial parts of my development.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    It's nice to know we have so many commonalities. Prior to teaching, in another lifetime, in another galaxy, far-far away, I was a documentary filmmaker with PBS...it paid horridly, so I did other things...but we both started with rudimentary equipment and in your case, have progressed admirably. Good interview and speaking for myself, I am so glad you are a mod...
    Thanks Chris,

Being 'the BBC', in those days the camera manufacturers were falling over themselves to give us their latest wares on loan in the hope of an order, so although the programming and editorial ethos was probably like PBS (public broadcasting service?), we were very lucky technology wise.

After being out 'on the road', I 'did time' maintaining most facets of the broadcasting chain; TV cameras (analogue in those days), vision mixers and effects boxes (the beginnings of digital video) and VT recorders, again mostly analogue in my day.

Cheers,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for sharing and for your work here as a mod.It's been a true pleasure interacting with you the past 2 years.
    Thanks Jim,

It has been, is, a pleasure being here and helping where ever I can.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kay

Cheers Dave - Thankyou for joining in the fun - You are always a great help on technical queries and it is nice having another sportsfan on the team

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for sharing Dave and for the keeping the help keeping the wheels turning here.

Real Name
    Elise

Hey Dave, I'm sorry I missed reading this at first (it came during one of my "lost weeks") -- very interesting to learn more about you and your journey through photography.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Cheers Dave - Thankyou for joining in the fun - You are always a great help on technical queries
    My pleasure to help, just as it was doing the backstage am-dram at school - I must have learnt a bit setting the lights there

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    and it is nice having another sportsfan on the team
    Yeah, but I did start following Formula 1 quite avidly last year, so I may yet let you down

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Thanks for sharing Dave and for the keeping the help keeping the wheels turning here.
    I do what I can thank you

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Hey Dave, I'm sorry I missed reading this at first (it came during one of my "lost weeks") -- very interesting to learn more about you and your journey through photography.
    No worries, it is so easy to miss stuff here lately, even in a single day, I noticed pretty much all the comments came on the first day, then, once any thread drops off the "Latest" list, it gets missed by (nearly) everyone else - unless they go playing catch-up

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Dave,

Yeh, catch up, that's me but worth it. Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Along with the others I do appreciate your time and input here and the way you interact with beginners is a pleasure to witness. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast