Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sparkle Test

Real Name
    Chris

Sparkle Test

I've noticed several members who always manage to get a good sparkle to their water highlights without overpowering the scene. The image below has the PP on the left and a section from the RAW file before any PP. I think in some ways I have it sort of, almost, maybe, but not quite spot on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sparkle Test
    Last edited by MiniChris; 26th January 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to add sharpen

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Sparkle Test

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I've noticed several members who always manage to get a good sparkle to their water highlights without overpowering the scene. The image below has the PP on the left and a section from the RAW file before any PP. I think in some ways I have it sort of, almost, maybe, but not quite spot on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sparkle Test
    Hi Chris,

I think you've just put too much contrast into it in PP, I prefer the detail in the rocks in the unprocessed section. Maybe a bit less exposure (at shooting time) would help too.

Here's one I did back in June 2009, I don't suggest it is any better though

Sparkle Test
    Nikon D5000 + Sigma 18-250mm VC: 1/4000s, f/8, iso800 (2897)
    F11 and click image to see at 1,024px × 641px

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Chris,

It does look a little to much contrast. You still have the sparkle in the original and I prefer the more natural colours.

Real Name
    Chris

Lowered all the + values I had and detuned the saturation and contrast...much more true to the natural colors I saw.

Sparkle Test

Real Name
    Peter

I agree Chris. It looks more natural now. I was wondering if you added a small increase in sharpening the sparkles might sing. I am not sure how it would go but maybe worth a try.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I agree Chris. It looks more natural now. I was wondering if you added a small increase in sharpening the sparkles might sing. I am not sure how it would go but maybe worth a try.
    Already has a bunch but applied a tad more and this is what it does...

Sparkle Test

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Chris,

On my screen the reeds are sharper with more contrast in the water and sparkle. The water flow appears more dynamic.

Real Name
    Chris

I think it is a good start in understanding how this part of sharpening works. I am doing a ton of study in layer sharpening and in channels within the layers...sometimes I have to go back to the history menu to figure out where the heck I am..

Thanks for your continued input. This is an exciting challenge and given I've only had CS5 for a little over a month, I think (he says humbly), I've come a goodly way...but for every door I open successfully, there are six doors behind it beckoning me with siren voices..."try me, try me, try me...I don't think it will ever stop.

Real Name
    Steve

Sparkle Test

Here is a quick attempt to show you how I do it;
    in photoshop duplicate the background with 7 layers.
    Set top layer to 10% luminosity
    Klick eye on the one under it
    Set multiply 100% on layer 5 and adjust Gauss blur to get sparkle
    Set up to 4 Screen layers
    So it looks like this with levels on top

Levels 8-1-255
    Luminosity 33%
    Pin Light 100% (with eye open)
    Multiply 100% with Gauss 11 pixels
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%

But Pin sometimes turns things pink, then try difference or exclusion and play around. cheers

Real Name
    Chris

Sparkle Test

A tiny tweak in your suggestion and changed output size a bit...but, I am of want to know why so many layers of screen @ 100%. I tried it without all four and it didn't work nearly so well...so am curious why?

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Chris, I found this method if you can call it that while messing about with the Orton method; Multiply always darkens while Screen increases brightness. I noticed that a Pin light layer makes white spots lighter or at least stand out, but it is worth messing about with different layer blends and amount of Gaussian blur.
    Even just putting a plain colour layer over the top and seeing what happens gives some interesting results with different blends, my favourite is Difference and Exclusion, a bit like Difference, both at say 50% opacity, they make the sky darker and haze hazier with an appropriate amount of Gaussian blur, say 70 pixels.

Real Name
    Chris

One method I've tried with reasonable success when working with metallic surfaces is color overlay at 100%, then changing opacity as suited. This is especially good if the original intent is to present the final piece as a B&W image.
    I did a little more research into layer blends, etc., last night and will spend a considerable amount of time learning them. Thanks for the inititive to explore further.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Chris, I found this although I can't get my head round what pin light is doing.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/o.h...nd-highlights/

Real Name
    Steve

Tried that method

original
    Sparkle Test

Color 100%
    Level on Pin Light 100% 43-0.86-211
    base
    Sparkle Test

Color 100%
    Pin Light 100%
    Multiply 100% with Gauss 9.3 pixels
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%
    Sparkle Test

The Color blend appears to correct pink which means I've got a lot of work to do.