Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Roses and a book.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

3 Roses and a book.

Looking for something to shoot, I setup my 2 table lamps, saw some rose flowers, took the book that I am reading, and took this shot. There are really times when you are looking for some inspiration but can't seem to find it.

3 Roses and a book.

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure at f5.6 at 1/40 of a second in Manual Mode, B&W conversion using Silver Efex Pro. 2 table lamp lighting setup.
    Last edited by jiro; 25th January 2011 at 06:20 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 3 Roses and a book.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    There are really times when you are looking for some inspiration but can't seem to find it.
    I know what you mean.

The linkage between the flower and the book is maybe a bit tenuous and leaves us wondering - 'What's the connection?' But I appreciate that this was not the purpose.

What I do think is that it's a very well executed exercise. The compsition, exposure and conversion are super. A beautiful richnerss in both tone and texture.

Real Name
    Chris

One of my general to the whole world pet peeves anymore (and I have a few), is that we are so used to being analysed or analyzing, informed, harrassed, bombarded and directed to buy or obtain something, we simply have forgotten how to appreciate simplicity and beauty for its just being there. I like that Donald sees the purpose was not a linkage between the book and the flowers, but that it was a great photograph. Whoohoo, Donald.
    Everything doesn't have to have a message of great social importance. Sometimes, it just has to please the eye and Jiro's roses on the book is such a pleasure. It's a book and some roses and very well composed and shot. Good job.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I know what you mean.

The linkage between the flower and the book is maybe a bit tenuous and leaves us wondering - 'What's the connection?' But I appreciate that this was not the purpose.

What I do think is that it's a very well executed exercise. The compsition, exposure and conversion are super. A beautiful richnerss in both tone and texture.
    Thanks, Donald. You aptly said it, this is more of an exercise. I like the texture of the rose so I decided to shoot it hoping that I can show that nice shades on the petals. I needed some contrast and leading lines so I used the book for that purpose. The book is Ansel Adams autobiography. I am just in awe and overwhelmed but what I am learning from this book. I wish I could travel like him and shoot some of this magnificent sceneries... but can't. So, I simply had to work with what I have in hand within the confines of the house... and still looking for some spark of inspiration. Thanks.
    Last edited by jiro; 25th January 2011 at 02:34 PM.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hi,

It is a pleasent image, surely.
    I agree, that it's not easily to make a direct link between the flowers and the book, but I don't think it is a problem. Because one can make up a story for it. Like those movies which start with a strange scene and after a two hours plot we sigh "o, that's clear now" .

By the way, which book is this?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Pohled View Post
    ...By the way, which book is this?
    The book is Ansel Adams autobiography, Jonathan. This book is really a joy to read, not to mention seeing almost all the works of Ansel Adams in one collection. Personally, I am more engulfed in the story of his life. The images came next. Kind regards,

Real Name
    Paul

Good exercise and a worthwhile result. Very nicely lit and composed too - a tad oversharp maybe but exposed very nicely. A great learning exercise in these days of zero inspiration (I just shot a series of my Ipod for want of any better subject matter)
    Manual mode ?? - you don't have iTTL table lights

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    ...Manual mode ?? - you don't have iTTL table lights
    None, Paul. Though I'm embarrased to say this, but "All my table top or still life shots are made using only regular 60-watts incandescent bulbs on $5.00 table lamps". I don't have strobes or speedlites right now but I am learning a lot using these ones so far. I like to stay in manual mode even with artificial lights, makes me just concentrate on the composition without messing up the exposure. What I normally do is put a home-made gray card in front of the subject, determine the exposure using spot metering, adjust the exposure by +1/3 EV (the home made gray card is off by this much ), and keep the settings there.

This is my lighting setup, Paul.

3 Roses and a book.

It looks well lit, but when you take the shot you'd be amazed that the output image is darker compared to how you saw it. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Though I'm embarrased to say this ...
    Well, don't be. If you can produce such clear, rich images such as this with what you've got and you don't want to do things that needs strobes, then good on you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, don't be. If you can produce such clear, rich images such as this with what you've got and you don't want to do things that needs strobes, then good on you.
    Thanks, Donald. When the budget gets better, a nice SB-800 or SB-700 would be great as an add-on! Small steps on the learning path.

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Great picture. Plus a thank you for the picture of how you did it. I am new and welcome any knowledge. Especially if the tools needed are found in my home.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Njbowman View Post
    Great picture. Plus a thank you for the picture of how you did it. I am new and welcome any knowledge. Especially if the tools needed are found in my home.
    Thank you, Gerald. I hope once you tried this you will post your work soon.

Real Name
    Chris

Both the setup and the photograph are on my classroom reference wall....my students were totally amazed at how easy it was for you to get the exposure you did with that setup...thanksfor sharing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Both the setup and the photograph are on my classroom reference wall....my students were totally amazed at how easy it was for you to get the exposure you did with that setup...thanksfor sharing.
    Chris, I didn't know that you are using my images to help your students learn something about photography. I'm glad that my simple images can help others, too. Kind regards,

Chris, to further help your students, I attached the original shot straight out of the camera.

3 Roses and a book.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jiro; 25th January 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Great...we are not shooting RAW at this time because of editing limitations. I am trying to get the district to set up my classroom in the last edition of Photoshop which still uses 32 bit imaging. Even so, there are enough tools using jpegs to get decent imagery from what they shoot. Tomorrow, one of my students is going to post his "Black on Black" assignment which I think he did pretty well considering he had to shoot digital, and stay in color. Four different shades of black set in a black background environment...and then do the same with white.

Real Name
    Chris

Just got my brain in gear... should have asked first....ooops. Thanks so much for your generosity.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Jiro,
    As for the set up, I'm wondering what is the roll of the Pooh on it
    Are incandescent lamps better than fluorescents? You know, green era, we have much less incandescent lights here.

I like the original picture more. The colours make a good effect. But it's only a matter of taste.

Real Name
    Thierry

interesting composition and beautiful b&w conversion

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Pohled View Post
    Jiro,
    As for the set up, I'm wondering what is the roll of the Pooh on it
    Are incandescent lamps better than fluorescents? You know, green era, we have much less incandescent lights here.

I like the original picture more. The colours make a good effect. But it's only a matter of taste.
    Jon, Pooh is the one helping me keep the backdrop in place. He's holding it. The bulbs that I'm using seems to be consistent so far. All I have to do is to click on my gray card and the white balance adjustment is just right. I decided to convert the image to black and white as a personal taste. I can also use the colored version maybe in other application. Kind regards.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    interesting composition and beautiful b&w conversion
    Thank you for the nice comment, Thierry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast