Some 'Flash' people....person

#2 - Bounce flash on camera indoors

#3 - off camera flash outdoors

#4 - off camera flash with CTO gel & W/B tungsten

Re: Some 'Flash' people....person

I like your second photo the best- really good lightning there! It's followed by the third and fourth photo.

The first does not cut the mustard though. Did you turn on Rear curtain sync?

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Kay,

I think the photography is coming along great, but your post-processing is letting you down a little - the first two look considerably under-exposed to my eye (the first moreso than the second), and the WB seems a bit off too (did you shoot a grey card like a good girl?).

Here's a quick rework of image #1 ...

And image #2 ...

Last edited by Colin Southern; 23rd January 2011 at 08:35 AM.

Real Name
    neil

for me... I like 3 the best based on light, composition and colour.. a little sharper would be nice...

4 is also very good. seems technically better but I just prefer the feel in 3. I think the slight turn of the head is better in 3 in terms of profile for this model.

2 probably good for most but I don't personally like studio type posed shots.. maybe face looks a little bright and hair a little dark?

1 is much more natural looking and the model looks great in this shot... I like this also

nice set...

Real Name
    Pete

Hi Kay,
    I like 4, 3 and 2 in that order. I think you have done a great job.
    Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    some shots from my workshop yesterday
    Me, with my newly acquired 580 EX II am now the student and you the teacher, so ...!

How did you use the flash off-camera. Were you using radio triggers or were you hard-wired via a cord?

ps - Well done. Apart from other constructive comments made above, these are super. A good day well spent, I would suggest. I've certainly learned from it as well!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Me, with my newly acquired 580 EX II am now the student and you the teacher, so ...!

How did you use the flash off-camera. Were you using radio triggers or were you hard-wired via a cord?

ps - Well done. Apart from other constructive comments made above, these are super. A good day well spent, I would suggest. I've certainly learned from it as well!
    Hello Dear Friend on the the slippery slope of learning to Flash!
    The off-camera were with radio triggers - they had the cheaper ones and the pocket wizards for us to see and try.
    The flash itself was on a lighting stand.
    The morning was spent on getting our head around a wee bit of the technical and guide numbers and how distance away affects the flash etc - plus looking at a lot of images with us taking turns to answer 'where was the flash' 'did the flash exposure change between these 2 - getting us to understand ambient light vs flash exposure etc
    Then a quick bite to eat and then 4 hours of shooting around an old convent.
    2 people got sick and couldn't attend, so lucky for me we had 2 Instructors to 7 students.

I will practice now for a while before maybe booking in for the Flash part 2 day....might be a good Birthday present...
    Dear are you listening?

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Hello Dear Friend on the the slippery slope of learning to Flash!
    The off-camera were with radio triggers - they had the cheaper ones and the pocket wizards for us to see and try.
    The flash itself was on a lighting stand.
    The morning was spent on getting our head around a wee bit of the technical and guide numbers and how distance away affects the flash etc - plus looking at a lot of images with us taking turns to answer 'where was the flash' 'did the flash exposure change between these 2 - getting us to understand ambient light vs flash exposure etc
    Then a quick bite to eat and then 4 hours of shooting around an old convent.
    2 people got sick and couldn't attend, so lucky for me we had 2 Instructors to 7 students.

I will practice now for a while before maybe booking in for the Flash part 2 day....might be a good Birthday present...
    Dear are you listening?
    Sounds like a good course Kay. You should be very pleased with your results. I might get the details of the course from you.

R

Real Name
    Brian

I like #4 the best. Her hair has some detail in it. In the others it seems lost? I'm not sure if that's an exposure issue or something else? It's easy to underexpose your subject with a bright background - I have recently done that myself! I wonder of spot metering would help ETTL exposure in this regard?