Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Was playing today...like I don't everyday?

Real Name
    Chris

Was playing today...like I don't everyday?

But I did this photo in two framing formats: Standard 4 x 6 (8X12) and square. Just wondering what others think of this format and which of these do they think best portrays the scene.

Was playing today...like I don't everyday?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Was playing today...like I don't everyday?

Hi Chris,

Very interesting. My initial thought was 6 x 4 format, thinking it reflected the upright stance of the fisherman and the piling.

Then I covered each image in turn so I was not distracted and the fishing line took on a whole new meaning in the square cropped image.

Looking back at the 6 x 4 and I found I had to make myself look at the fishing line to see it. I was more distracted by the lightness in sky.

So the square crop one gives me the story.

Real Name
    Chris

My only problem with the square format is that I lose a lot of the split toning and in this pic, that is a very redeeming feature. As to the fishing line...when I first edited the print, I thought the same ting and it is what led me to experiment with a square format...and when I was checking my shapness factor, I discovered it wasn't a fishing line at all but rather a seagull off in the distance...I was just to the point of resubmitting the image for the competition when it changed to voting status...oh welllllll...

Real Name
    neil

ha ha yes this is a very interesting question! A great post!

to me...

1. In both images the seagull is distracting.. it's not the key subject but it really draws the eye becuase he is at the end of the fishing rod. I would delete the seagull.

2. The main subject is the man and he is pretty tight to the right hand side. He is already tight in the tall photo but in the cropped version it seems that you to take away more of that small space. A cropped version with the same room RH side would probably suggest a little more space.

So I would like a cropped version but with just a bit more room RH side. (and no bird)...

Real Name
    Chris

I've already heal brushed out the bird and will look at the right side...there's really nothing of interest there, and since I generally find "nothingness" to be more a distraction than a comfort, I'll probably leave it cropped tightly and remember next time to reframe in a more pleasing way.

I prefer the fisherman in the square post, but I love beautiful skies and so my eye is constantly more pleased by the interesting sky of the taller photo.

Real Name
    John

Hi Chris,

I like the square image, it seems that the fisherman appears a little tighter in the frame.

John

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Although I like the sky area in the first image, I feel the second square crop is stronger. The fisherman is the story for me, rather than his environment.

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

I like the square. It makes the guy more prominent, and he's the main thing in the photo. Nice shot which ever way you go!

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks for the comments. I am leaning more toward that format for the final image that I will hang. I am out of town for the weekend doing a photo shoot in "foreign" lands...my mother's home area. The Sand and Whooping Cranes are nesting here for the winter so I am looking forward to some good stuff to shoot.

Real Name
    Brian

I like the square better, though I wonder if a landscape crop to 8x12 would better?

Real Name
    Paul

Chris, I have went back and forth between the two. I have come to the conclusion the square crop tells a more compelling story for me. I like both but the square crop is somehow more moving.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I like the square better, though I wonder if a landscape crop to 8x12 would better?
    Now, there's a good idea....I'll give that a shot when I get home.