Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: C&C Self Portrait Please

Real Name
    Brian

C&C Self Portrait Please

Hello all. After doing some reading on this site and following some portraiture classes by Colin, I stumbled across a flickr strobist page thingy. Eventually I ordered some toys off of the interweb to get into some off camera flash lighting for portraiture. This is one of my first attempts. The background didn't turn as black as I wanted, so I got a little help from GIMP. My goal was for something a little dark and mysterious.

C&C Self Portrait Please

Edit - I should mention that I currently one flash that I can fire from the hot shoe only in 1/16 manual or TTL, and I have a full manual flash that I can fire via radio or optical trigger.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: C&C Self Portrait Please

I don't do much flash, but from what I've read on here, I would think you need to lower the output from your primary unit. Give it at least a minus 1, maybe even more as you seem a bit overcooked around your nose and lips - the nose, of course, closer to the light.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I'm still working on the spacing with the flash/umbrella. I probably had it too close in this picture. Overall I'm ok with the results in this attempt, but I know I can make it better.

Real Name
    Brian

You know, now that I look at the photo on this page, I completely agree. In the full res pic, it looks much more interesting.

Real Name
    Pete

I haven't convinced the minsiter for war and finance that I "need" a flash unit yet so don't use one, but you could try a gobo (something that goes between the light source and the background or whatever else you don't want the light to touch) to keep the light from falling onto the background or move farther from it, or both. I think you could underexpose the whole scene until the background is where you want it then hit the subject with as much light as necessary to expose the face to your liking, not that I am an expert though. Have you had a look at David Hobby's site? Very cool!...and he is an expert.

PS: I like your solid first attempt. having the eyes in shadow is haunting and intimidating. Is that what you wanted to project? The look in your eyes is pretty intense too which adds to the above impression
    Last edited by Hans; 20th January 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Good points Hans. Yes I have been to the strobist. Just got my new flash after Christmas and starting to experiment. Your points are well taken.

Real Name
    Pete

Take them with a grain of salt
    I look forward to learning with you when I can improve my powers of persuasion!
    BTW what light did you end up getting?

Real Name
    Brian

I went as cheap as I could I think - yongnuo 560 and Rf-602. Use with my 'strobist' kit from mpex.com

Real Name
    Pete

Ah yes. I think I will go with the starving student SC1 when I get around to it. Still developing my natural light understanding ATM but will move into lighting mid year. Thanks for the feedback, Brian.

Real Name
    Brian

Starving student FTW! That may have been the kit I ordered, not sure. The stand is OK, does fold up nice and small. The umbrella seems pretty good. I handle the umbrella/flash holder thingy delicately as I'm not sure how durable it is, but so far so good. The umbrella setup works good for playing around, though I wouldn't want to buy a bunch of them for 'professional' work.

Its great because the model is so handsome and mysterious, etc. Ha ha. Jokes aside - a good looking or interesting model is half the solution, and your pic captures the mysterious air that you desired.

PS - The bottom line - I cant even practice on myself. A self portrait would show neither a beautiful young girl nor a pleasantly wrinkled face, just a plump old lady - someone who could audition for a comedy, probably!!!

Real Name
    Brian

Diane, thank you for the kind words! Even if they were in jest