Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: C&C Portrait Please

Real Name
    Brian

C&C Portrait Please

Hi again
    With my new toys this year I also got some gels. This photo was taken with a bounce flash off of the ceiling from the camera hot shoe and a flash pointed at the wall with a pink gel on it. After a couple of shoots, I'm thinking I really probably need two more flash setups to get the results I would like indoors in a relatively small room. In this shot I would have like to ditch the bounce flash and put an umbrella or softbox on either side slightly front.
    The only editing I did was to clone out some spaghetti on the model's shirt

C&C Portrait Please

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: C&C Portrait Please

An interesting shot Brian, well done for trying something different.

Two things strike me;
    I think you could selectively raise the exposure on her face to good effect in PP, and
    I wonder what it would look like with a focus stack so that the hand is also sharp?

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Dave. I'll give brightening a try. PP is not my forte at this point, but a good suggestion.
    I agree that the pointing hand probably would have looked better. It was an impromtu shot when I told my daughter to strike any pose she wanted. I'm just glad I was able to catch the expression on her face. I'll give some editing a try and repost - have to figure out how to selectively brighten first!

I also noticed the white flare to the right near the bottom. Apparently the gel had moved - I just had it layed over the top of the flash.

Real Name
    Brian

I had a chance to play around with GIMP today, here are the results. I lightened up the face and then the eyes some more, and then irises some more.

Looks better, but could be better still.

C&C Portrait Please

Real Name

Yes that is much better Brian, good work

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks for posting and sharing. I like it. She looks like a happy lively young lady who deserves a fun pink background - it suits her, I think its appropriate. Yeah - would probably be a cool image if her hand was in focus too, but I can also appreciate the blurry hand, it keeps the attention on her mischievous lil grin.

Debbie

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post some more when we play supermodel again

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Thanks for posting and sharing. I like it. She looks like a happy lively young lady who deserves a fun pink background - it suits her, I think its appropriate. Yeah - would probably be a cool image if her hand was in focus too, but I can also appreciate the blurry hand, it keeps the attention on her mischievous lil grin.
    Hi Brian, Debbie,

Yes, I agree, I am still not sure whether a version with her hand sharp would distract more from the face.

I suspect that due to the camera to face and camera to hand distances being so different, traditional means (f/16 or f/22) may not be sufficient, hence my suggestion of a second shot and focus stack, but I might be completely wrong - put that down to a lack of experience on my part

Cheers,

Real Name
    Brian

I'm off to find a tutorial on selective brightening. Maybe it's just me because I know what I did to the photo, but the more I look at the edited version, the more obvious it is, and I think I need to find a way to 'blur' the increased brightness of her face.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I'm off to find a tutorial on selective brightening. Maybe it's just me because I know what I did to the photo, but the more I look at the edited version, the more obvious it is, and I think I need to find a way to 'blur' the increased brightness of her face.
    Hi Brian,

I think it is just you

I can't see any obvious 'joins', so to speak.

Real Name
    Pete

Maybe it's just me because I know what I did to the photo, but the more I look at the edited version, the more obvious it is
    Not "maybe." 2nd looks much better than the first. Looks like a lot fun playing with gels!

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Dave and Hans. I need to come up with some sort of rim light. I have a couple of shop lights laying around...

Real Name
    Pete

You could try shooting at her from the back with a light which would produce a halo type rim light.
    Go on , try it...I've got nothing to lose

Real Name
    Brian

Hans you are correct that does work. I have tried it with my flash and it does give interesting options, though I only have one off camera flash... I will try the shop light some time.