Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some people

Real Name
    Kay

Some people

You guessed it she's been at Portrait practice again...

Some people

Some people

Some people

Some people

Some people

practice..practice...practice

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Some people

Kay, your #4 image is stunning! Good work.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

1st & 4th are outstanding!!!!

Real Name
    Wendy

Kay, these are all excellent, but #4 is exeptional with #1 not far behind. Colin must be very proud of his star student. Great work, you really have a flair for this

Wendy

rob marshall

Well done, Kay. Very creative poses, and I love the lighting, especially in #1. You make it look so easy, but I know it isn't.

Real Name
    neil

Kay, really fine photographs!

1. personally I find the lighting at far left a little distracting but overall very nice.
    2. and 3. are really good portraits
    4. is very nice. Great dof and composition. Colour looks a tad orange?
    5. focus looks soft and I think it detracts from the high quality of the other shots. Colour also looks a bit red. composition and lighting are good.
    neil

Wow, number 4 is fantastic! Great work.

Charlie.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kay

Super stuff (even if I still can't see your avatar against your name, but against Colin's name!) - Don't worry folks, I'm having a Firefox problem at my end.

How did you light #4?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kay,

They are all good, very good (much better than I could do), but as others have mentioned, inconsistent white balance is what's holding you back now.

If you managed to shoot a Whi-Bal card with each subject and apply that to all shots of that person, it may help, but I have a feeling the mixed lighting (that can come in various proportions from shot to shot) is the real problem, although in #2 and #3 above, the problem is with the subject vs background colour temp difference.

Soooo, I think it is time to;
    get some extra lights, stands, backgrounds, et al, and/or
    occasionally try processing some to monochrome to remove the issue - I have a feeling they might look rather nice

Although #5 doesn't really have any WB problems, I thought I would experiment, I hope you don't mind;
    Some people
    I tried to recover some detail in her lovely hair - she is beautiful and that's a wonderful, assured expression.
    I downsized to 700px and sharpened some of it a bit too.

If I have one suggestion on this one; it is a shame her hair is cropped off on the left of frame - I don't mind the top of head being missing so much.

When viewing the thread, I was immediately struck by the pose of #1 (and then #4).

Well done,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th January 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added more info

Kay

These shots are all beautifully executed. They are so natural and relaxed. As many have said No 4 is the real seller but there is a natural sensitivity in number 3 that can only captured by a female photographer....beautiful shots, no candy and and subtly lit. There are probably a hundred and one technical issues that we could find if we looked really hard but these images transcend all that. I am jealous. I want to be able to do this and I want it NOW.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou one and all for your kind words and helpful suggestions...

I was having a play with very shallow DOF and sometimes it worked other times not - # 3 and # 5 were outside in the shade with bright sunlight nearby - just reflecting off white walls or whatever was around.
    # 1 and # 4 were inside with window light - bright sunny day after a week of rain.

And yes I did forget the grey card why do I do that? grrr

And Dave...what a nice chap you are suggesting I need to go out and spend money!....my husband is getting on a plane right now to have words with you

But to be realistic I think I need to pause now - draw breath and (all evidence to the contrary) not buy any new gear
    When I had a play with the work lamps and suddenly saw how a face could be it differently by moving the reflectors etc - I thought wow this is cool....BUT and Dave in another bit of what he said - has hit the nail on the head.

It is the subtle nuances of working with people and poses that I think I need to concentrate on now which can all be done with a reflector and 1 flash (well after I go to the workshop next w/e and learn better how to use that flash )

Yes I have made some improvements as these were not just taken from 100m away and cropped - these were try to get the framing right at the time - but the last one - as well as the 'side hair' a very slight turn of the leading shoulder would to me have made a big difference...big..Huge.

So off I go with my toolbox that I have to hand....this does not mean I will forget about maybe one day taking over 'his shed' and having a wee studio.....but there is much to do before then

Next week I will be going to the get to know how to use your flash better workshop - of course no rocket science ideas that you guys haven't already told me - but instant feedback in person is a great addition to the student (and besides which, Santa gave it to me....maybe he thought that would keep me away from the shed)

Thankyou all again.....off I go now to get the newspaper and see if Fashionista has been offered a place at University.
    You will all laugh as she has 2 part time jobs now...the original one at 'subway' and the other at......a Fashion Clothing Store!!
    She is happy as a pig in mud

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    And Dave...what a nice chap you are suggesting I need to go out and spend money!....my husband is getting on a plane right now to have words with you
    still, at least I know who to watch out for (he is #2, isn't he?)

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    still, at least I know who to watch out for (he is #2, isn't he?)
    tee hee nope no family members were used in the creation of these shots....so keep looking over your shoulder for a gentleman in his 50's who is somewhat 'follicularly' challenged and was long before David Beckham et al decided it was cool

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    tee hee nope no family members were used in the creation of these shots....so keep looking over your shoulder for a gentleman in his 50's who is somewhat 'follicularly' challenged and was long before David Beckham et al decided it was cool
    I reckon I got one night's sleep left before the plane gets in

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I reckon I got one night's sleep left before the plane gets in
    Don't fret. Just come down to West Wales. he wouldn't dare follow you here. The Romans didn't!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kay,

# 4 has it followed by #1. In all the others they are faces in a frame. In 1 and 4 you have used the frame to also create shapes (dare I say triangles) but I look at the whole composition and not just a face. Well done.