Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Invisible Woman.

Real Name
    Rebecca

The Invisible Woman.

The Invisible Woman.

Okay, so this is my latest project in college. Our brief was evidence, I decided to gain research from the film/book 'The Invisible Man'. This was mainly due to an idea I had of taking the person out of the picutre but leaving the clothes there. I am now developing this idea into evidence of stereotypes, on Monday I will be using different people in my photography class to model and I will take them out of the picture leaving their outfits there, I want to show how we should not be stereotyped as we are all individuals.

My class has pretty spontanious fashion choice, I think we are a bunch of misfits really. So quirky and unique. I must admit I can't talk as some of my choices of clothing are slightly out of the ordinary, I try to go for the vintage look.

This picture is not perfect, but I just thought I would show you what I am up too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Invisible Woman.

That is strikingly powerful.

I agree that the image is not the best (the door handle needs to go etc etc). But as a post of a concept you are looking to develop, then it is indeed creative. Good on you for stretching my thinking (and I hope that of others) about the artistic possibilities of our craft.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

This is pretty neat. At first, I thought that the person is just hiding behind the magazine so that we can't see her face. Later on, I realized there are no hands, and head too to make it realistic at all. LOL! Personally, even if you include the 'person' in the frame it will still be a strong image by the way you composed the shot. A good project, if I may say.

Real Name
    Chris

I just found a new project for my advanced photo students...

Real Name
    neil

That is really an excellent idea photographically. I think you could get some great images.

However I have to say I am a firm believer in stereotypes. Not to say that people are not individuals but there are also many common traits exhibited by people.

I know what you are thinking... people like me are all the same

neil

Real Name
    Rebecca

Good on you for stretching my thinking (and I hope that of others) about the artistic possibilities of our craft.
    I seem to be the only person in the class to have thought about the moral meaning behind my photograph in this much depth, my teacher just looked like it went straight through one ear and out the other. I had to sit and explain to him a couple of times.
    But thank you Donald, it makes me happy when people comment with such lovely things.

A good project, if I may say.
    Thanks Jiro! I have so many ideas rolling around my head.

I just found a new project for my advanced photo students...
    Wow, that just put a huge smile on my face! I have never saw another photographer do this type of work, so it was hard for me to find research, but I settled on 'The Invisible Man'. If you read the concept of the idea the scientist was trying to portray it links really well with my work. I find it hard to explain what is going on in my head through typing it on here, but hopefully you will understand the concept I am trying to get across? However if you do find a photographer that has done this, let me know
    Thanks Chris.

Ahh, I am just rambling on haha!

However I have to say I am a firm believer in stereotypes. Not to say that people are not individuals but there are also many common traits exhibited by people.

I know what you are thinking... people like me are all the same
    I agree there are stereotypes out there, but we should not be labeled. I guess I only think this way is because I have been put into stereotypes before and I believe I do not fit into one, I am too weird and unusual. I guess if you wanted to throw me into one I would be part of all of them, apart from a 'chav' I am not anywhere near a chav.

Now i must admit, that is one form of stereotype I do talk about, which I shouldn't.

People just have their own opinions, and I would never judge a person because of that so don't worry, I don't think people like you are all the same.

rob marshall

Honestly, you young students, always running around like headless chickens...

I like the idea for this shot, but a couple of things come to mind. It might have given more impact to shoot it in portrait mode, zoom in much closer, and get down a bit lower. The extraneous stuff in the room isn't really needed. I think Hello! magazine might have been better (invisible person looking at very visible people).

Good idea though.

my teacher just looked like it went straight through one ear and out the other.
    And there lies a problem. When studying for formal qualifications you need to make sure you are understood and ultimately that it pleases enough to award decent grades. This is always going to be an issue with formal education and creative arts. Although it is very tempting to be 'misunderstood' there is plenty of time for that when you get that cap and gown. I am not saying that you should pander to the lecturer but be mindful that he has a set of parameters against which to measure your academic skills. Anything that you produce that does not fit into the rigidity of academia may not be received well (even if it is brilliant). You can still do stuff your own way but you need to think about the requirements of its marking. Produce that off the wall stuff but put it into a portfolio and show it on the web or wherever.

Now I could have walked into the other room to tell you this but I do think it is relevant to this thread. There are a couple of teachers on here and it would be interested to hear their opinions on academic creative arts

I had so many experiences in school - particularly college - where I would make a comment and, at the moment (the moments that I'm remembering, anyway), the professor would light up with my idea but the rest of my class would be stiff and not understand - even squash my thoughts. There were a few times that my classmates would come up and apologize afterwards because they didn't understand me, at first. Partly, it was because I may not have expressed it brilliantly in my first flush of discovery or understanding and, partly, it was because I just see things so differently, sometimes. Unfortunately, in those days, I would just back down and know what I'd seen and understood. I'm not saying that I was smarter than my classmates. I just see things differently. Not to cross any advice from your dad - just keep loving your ideas and letting your thoughts flow - sometimes, others will see it and sometimes, not, but the important thing is to just keep being you. and, PLEASE, forgive me for all this sappy advice! It has a hard reality when we live it!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    And there lies a problem. When studying for formal qualifications you need to make sure you are understood and ultimately that it pleases enough to award decent grades. This is always going to be an issue with formal education and creative arts. Although it is very tempting to be 'misunderstood' there is plenty of time for that when you get that cap and gown. I am not saying that you should pander to the lecturer but be mindful that he has a set of parameters against which to measure your academic skills. Anything that you produce that does not fit into the rigidity of academia may not be received well (even if it is brilliant). You can still do stuff your own way but you need to think about the requirements of its marking. Produce that off the wall stuff but put it into a portfolio and show it on the web or wherever.

Now I could have walked into the other room to tell you this but I do think it is relevant to this thread. There are a couple of teachers on here and it would be interested to hear their opinions on academic creative arts
    There was a time, early on in my teaching career when a particularly brilliant student humbled me to the point of rethinking my entire assessment protocol. This lad was a Wells Scholar which at the high school level is equivilent to a Rhodes scholarship as it provided him with a 4-year full ride to Indiana State University and the ability to study for one full year with the poet Laureate of the United States and at that time, I recall it being, Robert Frost.

One of my Advanced Placement Art projects was a full size, self portrait, their choice of media and presentation. When he presented it, I was somewhat "disappointed" in that the drawing was flat, and the background a meandering series of lights and darks set in a series of circles, arcs, half circles, the color scheme didn't quite work..yadda, yadda etc. What saved the image (gradewise - at the time of my original thinking) was this incredible poetic biography of his life until then and all his hopes and aspirations. I wish I had it to show you as it was stunning in that scope.

As I went to each of the other presentations, out of my range of vision but within earshot, I heard another student say..."oh, I understand..I understand.." and then she gleefully raced from the room. On my last initial perusal of the whole student presentation, all my students eagerly awaiting my first critiques, this girl came back into the gallery, sat cross legged in front of his portrait, opened a small case and with flute in hand, began to play this beautiful tune.
    I was about to give her my whatfors when Jonathan walked over to her and said, "oh, you're playing my song." What I missed for the obvious, the forest for all those pesky trees in the way, was the background circles and half and quarter circles, some in very bright colors, some in muted variations of thos colors were in reality, musical notes. Sharps were brightly lit, flats not so sharp. Full, half and quarter notes and a lot of other musical things I didn't know or understand.

It would be an understatement to say I was flabergasted and to the point that I had to leave the room from the embarrassment of being so shallow in holding someone else to my standard of understanding. From this, I've since set up a series of artistic statements by the student where they explain to varying degrees, where they are in their thinking and execution of a work. This is not so much as I need to have everything explained to me, but because I sometimes lose that little birdy who darts in and out of the proverbial forest. Sometimes that birdy has a brilliant idea but not the means by which to present it...and my students, bless their pointy little heads, always help their peers to a higher understanding...I tend toward guiding, but I let my students lead the way to a large extent. Since that one moment, many years back, every student I've had at the AP or AICE level has passed their end of course exam. it is not what I did, it is what I didn't do. I didn't come into a final presentation with preset ideas of what constituted good art nd I never passed up an opportunity for a student to go beyond what was considered "normal."

I hope with this series, Rebecca knocks their knickers off and my advice to her is to do what makes you the best you can be and let the grades fall where they may. It isn't grades in school which propel your artistic career, it is what you have to show for that investment....go for it!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

Hi Steve and Rebecca
    Steve's comments bring to mind my feeling of absolute dread when our daughter told me that for her final year English exam - she decided that everyone else would be writing a certain way and on a certain 'theme' for their Richard the 3rd piece.....whereas she had decided to do something completely different that they hadn't practiced or worked on in class!
    As you can imagine I thought there is a time & place to be different and your final year English exam must surely not be it!!
    But you will be proud of me - I didn't say so to squash her and hopefully I didn't show it in my face.
    Did she get a good mark? - We don't know they get an overall 'score or number' based on all subjects thrown in together.

I think this discussion and exercise will be teaching you a whole lot about life Rebecca and not just photography!
    Sometimes we do need to fit in to achieve things so that we can then be more ok to do our own thing.
    Often this will depend on the people involved as well - I have worked with certain Doctors who just put my ultrasound films in the bag not look at them and dictate the report exactly as my notes on what I saw in the scan room tell him.
    Others must absolutely come in and have a look themselves - when I was younger I got my knickers in a twist with Dr type B - but I now know it is not a slight or question of my ability it is just what they want to do...so be it.
    I will of course break their nose if they decide to write a report that doesn't agree with me....only joking... a bit

Anyway like Katy I digress, it seems us Mums can't help ourselves

I am a sports fan with the creativity of a knat so please take that into consideration when viewing this image - but I took part in the CinC PAD challenge and that made me have a go at different things.
    Here I was trying to do a similar thing with the books - the kids are grumpy because we have gone too far in trying to do the gender equity thing...sometimes Boys really do want to do woodwork and girls (real ones unlike myself) really do like to cook..

The Invisible Woman.

As your Dad said at the time, the image needed to lose the other stuff in the shelves above them, and maybe them back to back, but looking around at what the other one had would have worked better..

We all wish you continuing success with all that you do and thankyou for taking the time to share some of your journey with us.

Pigeon holes...too cute!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    The Invisible Woman.

This picture is not perfect, but I just thought I would show you what I am up too.
    I am going to buck the trend and say that I like the larger view with all the distractions, it makes the effect more subtle.

I tell you what it reminds me of, for older UK members, those Benson and Hedges (I think) posters - you know, the ones which looked like a normal scene until you realised that something "wasn't quite right" and then you saw the advertising element.

OK, maybe lose the door handle (if door were hinged the other way it wouldn't be in shot and you wouldn't miss it), but the TV/video remotes, CD rack, angle of view and wider composition all 'contribute'.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I am going to buck the trend.....

OK, maybe lose the door handle (if door were hinged the other way it wouldn't be in shot and you wouldn't miss it), but the TV/video remotes, CD rack, angle of view and wider composition all 'contribute'.
    I'm gonna buck Dave's trend and say keep the door handle, 'cause it asks us where the hell we're going with all this. Are we in, are we out, can we leave the room (our lives as they are) when we want or are we stuck in our stereotypes.

Good stuff Rebecca and a new way of thinking to liven us all up.

You know, Chris, Katy and Kay I think you have reassured me never mind Becki and I am moved that you took time to respond with some excellent life learning. Thank you for taking time our to relate these experiences. I am sure Becki will be back with us when she can. Weekends are full of work and study at the moment so we do not see much of her.

And Kay I am still jealous of your portraits.

Real Name
    Rebecca

I am sure Becki will be back with us when she can. Weekends are full of work and study at the moment so we do not see much of her.
    I feel like I am never at home anymore.

But I will echo what my dad said; thank you Chris, Katy and Kay. Hearing about peoples personal experiences really does help, as it puts things into reality. I feel that in the competitive industry I want to enter after college and university that trying new things and being individual really helps and sometimes makes you stand out above other people. However tradition and sticking to what is known does help as like you said that is what the examiners may prefer. I enjoy to try out new things, it is part of my personality and creativity. I have so many ideas that I want to try out.

The one thing that does kind of get to me about AS Photography is the fact that it is not necessarily how talented you are at taking photos and your creative eye. It is mainly about how well you document your ideas, editing process and development.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    I feel like I am never at home anymore.

But I will echo what my dad said; thank you Chris, Katy and Kay. Hearing about peoples personal experiences really does help, as it puts things into reality. I feel that in the competitive industry I want to enter after college and university that trying new things and being individual really helps and sometimes makes you stand out above other people. However tradition and sticking to what is known does help as like you said that is what the examiners may prefer. I enjoy to try out new things, it is part of my personality and creativity. I have so many ideas that I want to try out.

The one thing that does kind of get to me about AS Photography is the fact that it is not necessarily how talented you are at taking photos and your creative eye. It is mainly about how well you document your ideas, editing process and development.
    It should be about both. As per organizing and processing, it is one of those workflow situations that is easier to learn right than to at some point try to unlearn and relearn...trust me, I am talkign from great personal experience.