Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: During snow fall last night...

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

During snow fall last night...

During snow fall last night...

Last night was snowing like a mad man so I decided to try some shots: camera in plastic bag( still had some condensation and droplets on lens( filter)) and here's one exemple: I tried to edit it but am still not happy with color of snow ( looks kinda pixie which is probably coming from snow flakes, I guess my shutter wasn't fast enough but still wanted to have a ' warmer' feeling of picture ?? ..Oh, and in a real beginner way, I left the autofocus....so my camera was working overtime trying to focus as the snow was falling on lens... Worth talking about this one?
    Last edited by mariejo; 12th January 2011 at 05:31 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: During snow fall last night...

Marie-Josee

I see from the EXIF data that this was shot at ISO3200. And that, I'm afraid, shows in the amount of noise that's in the image.

One of the biggest problems in getting the exposure right for the whole image is that you have some very bright light coming through the bush on the left-hand side. So, this light does not need more exposure, but everything else does.

Am I right in thinking that you don't have a tripod yet? Please excuse me if I'm wrong. If the light on the left had not been there, then I think you could get an evenly balanced exposure. But to do so, I think this needed a much lower ISO, a narrower aperture setting (than f3.5) and a much longer shutter speed (than 1/10).

I think the composition is very good and you have, potentially, a good shot there. But it is very challenging.

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Thanks you're right, I don't have a tripod still but will get one soon...

I tried many setting and I think that one was set on ' landscape' automatic as I didn't want to 'shake' with a slower speed...:eek

I still tried it but now that you said it, the noise is not due to snow flakes but ISO, ( too grainy )...I guess that was a good try....

Thanks Donald to take the time to look at it...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mariejo View Post
    Thanks Donald to take the time to look at it...
    My privilege. Because this demonstrates, to me, that you clearly have an 'eye' for seeing a good image. All that is required now is to keep practising to continually develop your knowledge and skills.

As Pops, one of the members whom I greatly respect, has said on here previously, we can learn so much more from the images that don't work so well. So, I think you assess what worked here and what did not, and you will learn from that.