Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Memorial

Real Name
    Peter

Memorial

The memorial cross at Mt Macedon was built to honour the fallen soldiers of World War 1. It was damaged by lightening and rebuilt to the original specification. I was there last week to meet the lady who runs the kiosk as she had asked me if I would like to put some prints on the wall.

Image #1 was the desaturated shot with the colour restored in the cross and slightly saturated. A little burning in and a slight paint with a very low opacity black brush. I like the openness and clean lines of this one.

Memorial

Image # 2 is the same but I replaced the sky.

Memorial

I would appreciate your thoughts on which one you prefer and any other comments as well.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Memorial

Both are fantastic! However I really have to lean to #2. The sky really strikes me and made me think of the heavens above.

Real Name
    John

There is something about the steps that just forces your eyes to move upward. Nice shot.

Real Name
    Kay

Very striking Peter.
    I really like the way the trees around the memorial are shown and appear as if they are standing reverently or even protectively around it.
    I also agree with Paul about the sky...the more detailed cloud patterned sky does bring a feeling of 'involvement from above' into the image.

This is a technique I will need to learn, I think it would improve the BC windsurfing shots quite markedly.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Very striking Peter.
    I also agree with Paul about the sky...the more detailed cloud patterned sky does bring a feeling of 'involvement from above' into the image.

This is a technique I will need to learn, I think it would improve the BC windsurfing shots quite markedly.
    Do you mean the idea of colour or B & W or drawing on the inspiration from above.

Thanks for you feedback guys.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I like the cleanness of the first image as the cross stands so clearly against the sky, but the emotional impact of the second is greater. But there is another possibility that allows the cross to show against clear sky, but adds more emotional response and that is to bring out more of the dark cloud areas in #1. There is a natural lighter area, almost like a halo, that surrounds the cross:

Please note that this is a very quick and dirty "maybe", just as a suggestion.

Memorial

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kit,

Great to hear from you. I agree with your opening sentence.

I did try this effect in a very soft way in #1. I picked up a small amount of burning in but there was not enough detail to draw much out so painted in some soft greyness to create a sort of diagonal brightness to match the angle of the cross.

You have been more aggressive in its application and I see where you are going. I hope others will comment on the differences