Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The morning after

Real Name
    Ali

The morning after

Another shot from the last snow in Boston.

The morning after

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: The morning after

Brrr, looks chilly

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Good job on the exposure by the way - I often have trouble nailing the exposure on scenes like this, but yours looks great.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th January 2009 at 06:52 AM.

Real Name
    David

Hi Sedali - A good shot with excellent exposure. I like the composition with the sun and then the sweep of the bough of the tree taking the eye through the image and framing the left-hand side. I wonder, as a possible improvement, if cropping the bottom and right hand side might not enhance the image by bringing the "horizon" line down to a third and using the trunk of the tree on the right hand side as the edge of the frame. I am not sure how to download ylur image or I would have tried this myself.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Ian

David,

Right click on the image and save as...? Followed by opening in PS or whatever?

Ian

Real Name

"Right click on the image and save as...? Followed by opening in PS or whatever?"

Interestingly, if I click the title bar to display the full-size version of the image I can right-click and save it like any other image, but if I click on the image itself it takes me to ImageShack where I'm recognised as a visitor from Cambridge in Colour, but that's about as far as it goes. My initial thought was that it would link me to the image at ImageShack, but that doesn't appear to be the programmed behaviour. Just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be.

Cheers,

Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th January 2009 at 06:52 AM.

Real Name
    David

Hi Guys - Thanks Shreds, that worked and here's the image as I suggested.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/...9f886df1_o.jpg

What do you think Sedali?

(Again, the image is not being posted here, but the link works.)

David

Real Name
    Ali

thanks for the comments. I like David's version. Sedali

Real Name
    Ian

I agree, I like the crop that David has suggested. Having the tree on the right seems to nail this shot so much better and keeps the frame focussed.

I can only get to Imageshack, Colin, by left clicking the image? Right clicking the forum image or resized image brings it up as a save option.

(I am currently using Safari & Mac OS 10.5.5, if that makes any difference/)

Real Name

"I can only get to Imageshack, Colin, by left clicking the image? Right clicking the forum image or resized image brings it up as a save option.

(I am currently using Safari & Mac OS 10.5.5, if that makes any difference/) "

I think some sites present the image in a way other than just as a straight HTML image insertion - and for these, you can't just right-click and bring up a property sheet (possibly as a copy protection strategy). The other thing is that I'm on a PC with Internet Explorer - so not sure what Safari under Mac presents as options (I would have thought that there was an equivalent though). Perhaps try my way with an image that we know works (eg one of mine here should be fine) so we can work out if it's the site or the browser/platform or the technique?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ian

I would agree that some sites have the right click ability disabled.

I have tried again with Firefox 3.05 on the IMac and get the same results as with Safari. I don't want IE on my Mac but I will check it on a PC/Windows machine and see what that results in.

Real Name
    Ian

Colin,

Using a HP laptop running Windows XP and IE, I get exactly the same results as with the iMac and Safari/Firefox.

Right clicking on one of your images on Windows/IE gives a menu and Save Picture, too.

The mystery deepens.

Ian

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Ian & Colin,
    I'm on Safari and 10.4.11 Mac. I clicked to get the full size image then proceeded to drag the full size image on to my desktop.

When I "Control" clicked, I didn't see the "Save As" so I decided to just drag it on to the Finder's background.

Don't know if this is relevant.

Real Name

"Using a HP laptop running Windows XP and IE, I get exactly the same results as with the iMac and Safari/Firefox.

Right clicking on one of your images on Windows/IE gives a menu and Save Picture, too.

The mystery deepens. "

I must admit to losing track of this one a bit.

If an image is displayed on a normal web page, users whould be able to bring up a property sheet for the image - in the case of IE you just right-click on the image - a menu pops up (with properties at the bottom) - one left clicks on properties and a dialog box pops up with a lot of info, including a URL to the location of the image. Is this what you're NOT seeing, or has a step been missed somewhere?

I can post some screen grabs of what I see if it helps.

Cheers,

Colin

That is a great shot! Makes me want to be there.....actually I'd be happy anywhere covered in snow at this point in time.

I took a look at the other version of it (sorry, can't scroll back and see who did it) and that is amazing. I'd not have thought to use the tree as the frame, so thanks guys, every day I'm learning something new (so today wasn't a day wasted!).

J