Real Name
    Steve

Mallards on the pond

Mallards on the pond

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Mallards on the pond

Hi Steve,

I really like this shot, and the peaceful feeling it evokes - the composition is nice and the ducks really seem to "pop" against the water. I'm still learning, so I hope you don't mind me offering my comments...

The only thing I find distracting is the light band running diagonally along the bottom of the image; perhaps this is something along the edge of the pond, or another reflection that crept into the shot? I'm not sure if you could crop enough off the bottom to eliminate that band while still leaving space around the reflection of the duck's head - maybe something could be done in PP to make that section blend a little better with the water?

The front mallard also seems a little softer than the rear, and I think it would probably work better the other way around - the front mallard is in a much more "commanding" position.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBob View Post
    Hi Steve,

I really like this shot, and the peaceful feeling it evokes - the composition is nice and the ducks really seem to "pop" against the water. I'm still learning, so I hope you don't mind me offering my comments... Not at all, it makes us ALL better photograpers.

The only thing I find distracting is the light band running diagonally along the bottom of the image; perhaps this is something along the edge of the pond, or another reflection that crept into the shot? I'm not sure if you could crop enough off the bottom to eliminate that band while still leaving space around the reflection of the duck's head - maybe something could be done in PP to make that section blend a little better with the water? The light band is the edge of the ice on the pond. I didn't want to crop off the reflection , so i left it cropped tight.

The front mallard also seems a little softer than the rear, and I think it would probably work better the other way around - the front mallard is in a much more "commanding" position.
    The front mallard is a little softer. I don't know what happened, i was focusing on the front one. A little soft, but acceptable i think.

Real Name
    Steve

Great shot. Beautiful colors.. Waterfowl have long been one of my favorite subjects.

Real Name
    Peter

Welcome to CiC Nick and thanks for commenting on Steve's work. I agree with your comments and it is good to see new members having the confidence to have a go at this. A very good way to learn.

Real Name
    Gary

Very nice photo.

The band of ice along the bottom? I think having more of it would give more indication of the setting. Cropping it out would take away from the front mallard's reflection.

On the soft focus on the closer face: Maybe you have a slight back focus issue?
    Last edited by didymus; 20th December 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Read all comments first! lol

Quote Originally Posted by didymus View Post
    On the soft focus on the closer face: Maybe you have a slight back focus issue?
    What is "back focus"?

P.S.Lovely photo, btw, and good comments.

Real Name
    Gary

Back focus and front focus is when you focus on a particular spot but your camera/lens actually focuses slightly behind or in front of the targeted focus point.

See here for some testing information.
    Last edited by didymus; 20th December 2010 at 10:52 PM.

Real Name
    Nick

I think that if there was enough ice to provide setting without being a distraction, then the mallards would be too small in the frame... I definitely like the composition as it is - maybe if the crop was tightened up just enough to get rid of the whitest section in the corner, and the rest of the ice was a little darker? Regardless, it's a small detail on a beautiful picture!

Real Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBob View Post
    I think that if there was enough ice to provide setting without being a distraction, then the mallards would be too small in the frame... I definitely like the composition as it is - maybe if the crop was tightened up just enough to get rid of the whitest section in the corner, and the rest of the ice was a little darker? Regardless, it's a small detail on a beautiful picture!
    Yes, exactly... We were not there to see the whole scene...

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Good shot composition wise. The only thing I dont like about it is that the reflections of green are not a clear mirror image of that of the two subjects and I find that takes away from the strength of it. I would love to see the reflections erased in PP and compare if that can be done. This is just an amateurs opinion but I am taking a shot at it.

Nasseem

Quote Originally Posted by didymus View Post
    Back focus and front focus is when you focus on a particular spot but your camera/lens actually focuses slightly behind or in front of the targeted focus point.

See here for some testing information.
    Interesting! Thank you!