Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Customizing a picture style?

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

Customizing a picture style?

Not sure where too start, but while reading through mt T2i owners manual, I came across the section on 'customizing a picture style'.

This allows for sharpness, contrast, saturation and colour tone.

Is there any real need to change the default setting as most of this can be done in Photoshop or like programs right? Or am I just being daft?

Thanks.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Customizing a picture style?

Mike

So far as I'm concerned, if you're shooting RAW, ignore that section of the manual. So, conclusion? You're not daft.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mwrmt View Post
    Not sure where too start, but while reading through mt T2i owners manual, I came across the section on 'customizing a picture style'.

This allows for sharpness, contrast, saturation and colour tone.

Is there any real need to change the default setting as most of this can be done in Photoshop or like programs right? Or am I just being daft?

Thanks.
    Hi Mike,

Those things will affect the jpg only, so if you're shooting RAW, they won't have any effect unless you use DPP which might respect the settings (as stored in the EXIF) and apply them to the RAW as well.

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

thanks guys.

Real Name
    Richard

I was excited when I first read about the user selected modes and/or customized picture styles available on the 40D and later cameras. I first thought, incorrectly, that the photographer, using these capabilities, could select the parameters such as ISO, Exposure Mode, focus point, burst or single shot, mirror lock-up, Auto Exposure Bracketing, etc and imprint these parameters in the memory of the camera and then be able to select any combination of memorized parameters using a single switch of a dial...

This would be something akin to the Basic Modes, except that the photographer would be the one (not the Canon Gods living inside the camera) to select the parameters of the shots. Since it is possible to select a variety of shooting a parameters by selecting a Basic Mode, it should (IMO) be possible to customize those parameters and to select them using the mode dial...

I was extremely disappointed when I found that I had absolutely no use for the User Selected Modes or Customized Picture Styles since I shoot in RAW all of the time. It seems to me that anyone savvy enough to select the parameters for in-camera processing available in the User Selected Modes or the Customized Picture Styles would be savvy enough to be shooting in RAW!

Imagine how easy it would be if you could set up your camera for how you wish for various venues such as action shooting or for night shots with simply a turn of the mode dial...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th December 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I was excited when I first read about the user selected modes and/or customized picture styles available on the 40D and later cameras. I first thought, incorrectly, that the photographer, using these capabilities, could select the parameters such as ISO, Exposure Mode, focus point, burst or single shot, mirror lock-up, Auto Exposure Bracketing, etc and imprint these parameters in the memory of the camera and then be able to select any combination of memorized parameters using a single switch of a dial...

This would be something akin to the Basic Modes, except that the photographer would be the one (not the Canon Gods living inside the camera) to select the parameters of the shots. Since it is possible to select a variety of shooting a parameters by selecting a Basic Mode, it should (IMO) be possible to customize those parameters and to select them using the mode dial...

I was extremely disappointed when I found that I had absolutely no use for the User Selected Modes or Customized Picture Styles since I shoot in RAW all of the time. It seems to me that anyone savvy enough to select the parameters for in-camera processing available in the User Selected Modes or the Customized Picture Styles would be savvy enough to be shooting in RAW!

Imagine how easy it would be if you could set up your camera for how you wish for various venues such as action shooting or for night shots with simply a turn of the mode dial...
    Like if you could go in and customize the already existing settings for night, action, portrait etc?

Even though the RAW shooting is new to me, I've always gone in and tweaked with PS7 anyways, so really, what is the point? Right?

Which brings me to a new question. Yesterday when trying to upload photos to PS7, I had to do so through the DPP, as PS7 couldn't recognise or find the RAW file. What gives?

I became confused by these options, Mike, when I first tried my 40D and foolishly thought that 'Natural' meant none of these so called enhancements. I was puzzled as to why I was suddenly getting harshly sharpened and over saturated results before eventually realising that the zero option which I wanted was actually 'Faithful'.

My personal liking is to avoid any of these auto 'enhancements' and to add them, if required, when editing your photos; as you suggested. The danger is that these auto changes are too severe so you end up trying to undo them later.

But, like many photographers, I mostly shoot Raw so it doesn't matter anyway.

Although, I suppose, if you were entering a photo competition which states No Editing it may be worthwhile using one of these adjustments as some people don't seem able to differentiate between auto 'in camera' enhancements and the same slight tweaks performed with basic software on a computer.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mwrmt View Post
    Like if you could go in and customize the already existing settings for night, action, portrait etc?

Even though the RAW shooting is new to me, I've always gone in and tweaked with PS7 anyways, so really, what is the point? Right?

Which brings me to a new question. Yesterday when trying to upload photos to PS7, I had to do so through the DPP, as PS7 couldn't recognise or find the RAW file. What gives?
    I believe that function is used for processing a batch of photos where the conditions are all similar. Granted that would only be plausible if all of your shots were taken within minutes of each other as the light, cloud cover, etc. would change from minute to minute.