Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time is relative

Real Name
    Jeroen

Time is relative

About a month ago I bought a B&W ND110 filter (that's 10 stops of sheer beauty ). I really love what can be achieved when combining long exposures with water or skies, especially combined with black and white. So for now it's just practise, practise and practise.
    What do you think of the results achieved so far? Please be open in your critics, I appreciate it.

#1 The Guards

Time is relative

B&W ND 110
    B&W CPL

320s
    f/11.0
    ISO 100
    18 mm

#2 Power Supply

Time is relative

B&W ND110
    B&W CPL

30 s
    f/22
    ISO 100
    40mm

#3 15B

Time is relative

B&W ND110
    B&W CPL

210 s
    f/8
    ISO 100
    40mm

#4 Winterbreak

Time is relative

B&W ND 110

2x 90 s
    f/11.0
    ISO 100
    17mm

For all of them I used a Canon EOS 400d and a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM lens.

Re: Time is relative

Wow! #2 has sooooo much energy and power in it - and I am NOT trying to make puns or be facetious. The sky with the subject gives me a very emotional response - I can just feel the electricity. Very cool!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Firstly, I congratulate you on your use of the filter so far. You are clearly using it as a tool to complement and add to your already considerable skills as a photographer. I think it would be very easy to go 'over-the-top' with this filter and start producing all sorts of weird images. However, the fact that you not doing that is to your credit.

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    #1 The Guards

Time is relative
    For my taste, the sky is too 'flat' in this. It needs some shape and texture that would be provided by cloud.

#2 Power Supply
    Time is relative
    This is excellent

#3 15B

Time is relative
    The voting in the Mini Comp tells its own story. This is a very well structured, executed and processed image.

#4 Winterbreak

Time is relative
    I can appreciate the bleakness of this, but am not sure that it works. Maybe if we has seen the top of the light stand closest to you ...?

Real Name
    Jeroen

Thanks for the comments Donald,

The bleakness is what I wanted to capture. It was the first bit of snow we have this year, and I used a long exposure to increase the bleakness since it was snowing throughout the capture. But without the tree line in the back I think it would have looked better. About the post: It was at least twice as high as shown in this photo and I already stood with my back against the fence.

Real Name
    Steve

I like #1 because the sky is boring, put another way real. Must have been a very still day. I think you can maybe use this filter in a city, I will like to see what it looks like.

Real Name
    Jeroen

That's certainly something I intend to do. I already have a some shots in my head which I'll do in Eindhoven (the city where I study). Now find the time to do so.