Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: These boots were made for walking and that's just what i'll do.

Real Name
    Rebecca

These boots were made for walking and that's just what i'll do.

I really love this picture of mine, in a non big headed way! I don't want you getting the wrong idea about me, but in all honesty I am proud of this photograph. Personally I didn't think the rule of thirds needed to apply here.

What do you think?

Real Name
    Remco

Re: These boots were made for walking and that's just what i'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    Personally I didn't think the rule of thirds needed to apply here.

What do you think?
    Well, the boots seem to be each on 1/3 of the image

Remco

Hmmm. What have I told you about shooting raw. The white balance is a fair way off and the image looks a little murky. A tweak on the tonal curve will bring out the vibrance and a little more contrast would not go amiss. You need to sharpen this up a little and in my opinion a slight crop off the top of the boots and the same off the bottom to get rid of the corners of the bench. Have you considered a b/w conversion for this? It might work nicely here.

David is right you will need to adjust your conversational style (initially) on these forums. Its a little discouraging to start with but the comments you will get here are really worthwhile and provide a good grounding.

Hi, Rebecca! Well, I love this image, too. I can see why you're proud of it. I LOVE the color and the light and the feeling and the lines and the whole mood of it. It's got a bit of grunge and dust and that, with the light, make it feel like they've seen a long day or like they're going to walk off into the sunset. I, also, love the bit legging in it - I saw it right away and it pulled me in. Then, I looked at the other - ummmmm - where's the other leg? I love the stance that it's in, too, with the toes pointing together. Er, just so you know, the photo got me before I read your words and that's where my thoughts originally and honestly led me. Maybe, someone else can give you more critique.

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Rebecca

I'm with Katy - I like this photo. I like the subject matter and I like the tint. The murkiness of the image adds to the subject matter IMO.

In terms of technical details - try your Dad's suggestions and see what you think of the results. He's the expert (sorry - you don't want to hear that do you? He'll never let you forget it). I agree with him though about sharpening a bit. As someone on their L plates, I try whatever suggestions people with more experience offer and judge the results for myself. If I don't like it, so what - nothing lost, in fact I've learnt new things in the process.

I've had this idea for photographing shoes too. Maybe we can turn this thread into a bit of a shoe fettish?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work

Real Name
    Rebecca

Thanks everyone.
    And I am sorry David, I was proud of this piece of work as it represents what I like. But hey, let's not indulge in the way I talk on here, it's all about the photo

The thing is when I take photographs, I don't think 100% about the technical aspect. I shoot for creativity, so my knowledge for the technical side isn't that big. But with all your help you can further that so I can gain more experience.

I don't think the image portrayed what I wanted to. The purple boots were not a mistake as I wanted to create a vintage feel to the photograph. I agree on the sharpening, that was before wirefox drilled it into my head that I need to give some images a little sharpening

Thank you Katy, you have seemed to see what I saw in this photo, but it all depends on how other people interpret the photo, as we all see it differently

Thank you all again, I will take what you said into consideration!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    I really love this picture of mine, in a non big headed way! I don't want you getting the wrong idea about me, but in all honesty I am proud of this photograph. Personally I didn't think the rule of thirds needed to apply here.

What do you think?
    Hi,
    Now is vintage,more vintage,with smell!These boots were made for walking and that's just what i'll do.
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Now is vintage,more vintage,with smell!
    Hahaha, thanks for that Radu!

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

I like the sepia tone Radu has gone with here (kind of gives it an old western look/feel) but I agree on Steve's opinion on this one, I think this image in B&W would be most powerful.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Rebecca,

I like this very much.The colour treatment and the lighting gives the image an "end of the day" feel.Maybe try another shot with the laces untied?
    It would definitely work as a B+W conversion,but I think it might lose some of it's impact.
    I would remove the light area above the left boot also.

Real Name
    Rebecca

thanks for all your suggestions, i will certainly try them out.