Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RAW files won't open in CS2

Real Name
    Chris

New Guy on the Block

Can anyone out there tell me why my CS2 verion of Photoshop won't open .nef files? Fortunately my camera saves to both a nef and fine jpeg simultaneously or else I'd be in a real pickle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carregwen; 28th November 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Re: New Guy on the Block

Chris

I moved your question from the introduction thread, as it's just meant for introductions.

Probably due to the fact that the CS2 version of RAW is dated summer 2006, which is probably before the D700 came out? You either have to upgrade to CS5 (think you can do it from CS2) or convert the RAW files to DNG format. You can get the convertor free from Adobe. Near the bottom of the page http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Can anyone out there tell me why my CS2 verion of Photoshop won't open .nef files? Fortunately my camera saves to both a nef and fine jpeg simultaneously or else I'd be in a real pickle.
    Hi Chris,

Almost certainly it will be because your camera model is newer than your CS2 version of Adobe Camera RAW.

There is a page on the Adobe site that advises which version of ACR opens which model camera's files; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

I don't consider working from the 8 bit jpg as a viable option; you need to get back to RAW ASAP.

You have 4 options;
    a) spend on an upgrade to CS5
    b) Buy something cheaper like Elements 9 and use that to open the .nef files and save as .PSD or .Tif, then if you need to*, you can probably open those with CS2, although I cannot guarantee it
    c) Download and use the free DNG converter, save files as DNG and open those with CS2, although I cannot guarantee it
    d) use another RAW convertor to save as Tif

* You can do quite a bit with Elements 9, although you end up converting to 8 bit earlier than is ideal, it is still way better than working on a jpg, even a 'fine' one.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Download and use the free DNG converter, save files as DNG and open those with CS2, although I cannot guarantee it
    That should work OK. DNG files shold be available to any version of CS.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Chris,

Just a wee bit to add about DNG ...

It's actually a great format, with some nice advantages; I use it exclusively, even though my CS5 reads my 1Ds3 files just fine.

When you adjust a RAW file, the adjustments are stored as XMP data as the actual RAW image is never altered. With native RAW formats like *.NEF and *.CR2 the adjustment info is either written to an *.XMP ("side car") file (which are a PITA because there's literally one for each RAW file) - or - the XMP info is written to an internal database on your PC (which is dangerous because nobody EVER backs up this database - in fact, most don't even know it's there). Lose the XMP data (even if you still have the Original RAW file, and you've lost every adjustment that you've ever made to those files).

When you use DNG though, the XMP data changes are written back to the DNG file (without altering the original image) - so the changes are stored with the file. Also, the DNG converter has some very powerful options for transferring files from your camera / card-reader, renaming them in the process.

The only downside to DNG that I've found is that it's not supported by some software companies like DxO Optics. Personally, I immediately convert EVERYTHING to DNG, and then delete the original *.CR2 files.

Real Name
    Chris

I figured out the newer camera to older version a few hours ago after reading another thread...
    As to upgrading, that's probably the better option and get the whole suite. I can get it from my school district for free but now I have to upgrade my computer to handle 64 bit processing...it's always something new...kind of like, "just one more mod" for the Mini...hahahhaha
    Thanks, everyone.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    As to upgrading, that's probably the better option and get the whole suite.
    CS5 is great - but I'd still encourage you to adopt DNG even with CS5. Using Adobe Bridge CS5 you can import from camera / card + append metadata / useage rights + rename + convert to DNG all in one operation.

I can get it from my school district for free but now I have to upgrade my computer to handle 64 bit processing
    It comes with 32 and 64 bit versions in the box. On a 32 bit system only the 32 bit version is installed, but on a 64 bit system, both versions are installed (and you can run either). 64 Bit systems are great all round, but 32 bit is fine for post-processing a single image; it's only when you start having lots of images open at once that 64 bit really kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It comes with 32 and 64 bit versions in the box. On a 32 bit system only the 32 bit version is installed, but on a 64 bit system, both versions are installed (and you can run either). 64 Bit systems are great all round, but 32 bit is fine for post-processing a single image; it's only when you start having lots of images open at once that 64 bit really kicks in.
    I rarely use the 64bit version as some of the plugins I have are currently only in 32bit mode. But I saw yesterday that Silver Efex are bringing theirs out in 64bit this month, so they are gradually catching up. One improvement I have noticed even with 32bit CS5 is the graphics capability. The graphics card on my new machijne has 1gb, and with the 6gb of main memory it runs a lot smoother than on a 32bit machine - especially with the grad tool in RAW, and lens correction tool.

If you want the 32bit version to load by default instead of 64bit you have to do a registry edit to change the address of the program it points to - from 64, to 32bit.