Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fall in Teton

Real Name
    carmel

Fall in Teton

This is my first post here, I hope you like it.

This shot was taken in The Grand Teton National Park in the USA. The lake is Jenny Lake and the Teton mountains in the back ground. A very beautiful place.

Fall in Teton
    Grand Teton NP by willo_1, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Fall in Teton

Carmel

I hope you don't mind me doing this (I'll delete it if you do) but it was the best way of illustrating what I wanted to suggest.

I think this image is excellent, but .... I think it's one on which the Rule of Thirds needs to be applied more rigidly.

What I've done is cropped it (retaining the same aspect ratio that you used) to put the summit of the mountain on the top-left thirds intersection; i.e. the summit is where the left-hand vertical third and the top horizontal third cross each other.

Now you may think this is total rubbish (which you are allowed to do). But it gives another option to think about.

And ... that takes me back. Spent a few days there in 1990. Gorgeous.

Fall in Teton

ps - Also cloned out that bit of cloud just up and right of the summit and something (a dust bunny or another bit of cloud), just to left and up from the summit.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2010 at 01:11 PM.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, nice capture, the only thing that I would change IMO is too much sky and don't know if it's litter, or a rock, down to the RHS bottom on the path - it keeps getting my attention and it's only small.
    Russ
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th November 2010 at 11:14 AM.

I often think that the climate and light quality in certain parts of the states is why Adams shot in b/w. I found this when I visited the Sierra Nevada apart from very limited time frames at either end of the day the light renders everything very......technicolor. It is a very nicely exposed and sharp image but I cannot help wondering what this would have looked like at sunset or sunrise. I am not getting any 'atmosphere' from this shot.

Real Name
    carmel

Thanks for the feedback, Donald, I don`t mind anyone improving my shots as long as they explain why they are doing it. So thank you.
    Russ I have cleaned up a few things at the edge of the lake, I didn`t notice that one but now I see it first thing, funny how once something is pointed out you wonder why you didn`t pick it up before, thanks
    Wire Fox, being on a tour I didn`t have the opportunity to be there at sunrise or sunset, just had to work with what I had, clear skies and bright sunlight. Most of the tour was like that, we had temp up to 46C while there.