Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Chris

Re: up load

Quote Originally Posted by hughredcanary View Post
    Hi I’m not shore if I am uploading correctly this is just a test
    Hugh
    Hello Hugh, fancy seeing you over here - nice duck take off

Your upload as an attachment is fine, but you will find you have only 4.6MB attachment storage here and will soon run-out. For your own shots for critique, post to your own gallery and just place the URL here

Chris

PS was thrown out of WPF for too much protest about the ads

Hi Chris how are you doing, found this site looking for tutorials it looks great, what you men duck, stop sitting on your glasses and put them on it’s an Irish swan , protest what protest what did I miss, we are going to stay with are daughter over the charismas at Houwnslow Heath, if the ear is not to cold and I can get out there is a Nature Reserve just up the road I will try for sum shots will contact u later
    Hugh
    http://hughsphotoshop.com/

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

To be honest, I'm struggling with posting images here a bit ...

I've got the attachments sorted, but haven't had any success linking to images on my photo.net account - not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if they block access to this site from theirs (which wouldn't supprise me in the least).

I've read somewhere that images must be resized to 700 px wide, and yet I've seen other images here bigger than that where the system automatically down sizes them for initial display and then offers a "click here" to show a higher resolution version - which is what I'm after as most of my photo.net gallery work is 1024px wide.

Can anyone give me a heads-up as to what I might be doing wrong? - I've been displaying the image on the photo.net account and then copy/pasting the URL into the appropriate field here, but it just doesn't work.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 14th January 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

A quick test of a Photo.net image

up load

I can include the thumbnail when I right click and select 'Copy image location', insert an image here with the mountains button.
    I then highlight everything including the square bracket IMG and /IMG tags and use the Hyperlink (chain and globe) button and paste in the hyperlink for the bigger picture.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd December 2008 at 09:51 PM.

Real Name

Hi Colin, try refresh, I have updated my reply

679px as it happens

Real Name

Ah, yes, I'm good at only telling half a story ...

So having posted you image on Photo.net you right click on its thumbnail there and select 'Copy image location' from the menu that's offered, then paste that into the pop up box for the mountain button here. You need to do this between two different browser windows (or tabs) so you can have both open at the same time.

Here's a big one (800px)..

up load

However, it may well contravene their policies, because their main aim is to attract new viewers to images showing their branding and more importantly, advertising (which is how the 'free' pages are funded). You generally only get direct linking rights if you pay a subscription. I guess that makes sense.

So my view is that if a link goes to such a page and they get more hits, they probably won't mind. On balance therefore, the thumbnail with link is probably the best compromise.

Real Name

up load

OK - got this sussed - sort of ...

For some reason we're getting totally different URL's from photo.net - not sure why.

When I display a large version of one of my images at photo.net I end up with a URL of:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7948111&size=lg

... which doesn't work here. However - if I right-click on the image - choose properties - then copy/paste the "gallery.photo.net/photo/xxx" URL then it looks like I'm in business.

Somehow you seem to be getting the pointer to the gallery.photo.net/photo/xxx a lot easier than I am, but at least this is workable for me.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Last edited by Colin Southern; 14th January 2009 at 10:52 AM.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Nice, image!
    How much adjustment has gone on here?
    Sorry for kind of getting off the duck topic.

Real Name

Not sure which image you're asking about - are you meaning my one?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

ah, yes.
    I was just wondering how much adjustment has been applied.
    It looks as though it has had a gradient filtered over the water.
    But I don't know.

Real Name

OK - few "tricks" to that photo, but a gradient filter isn't one of them

First up, that was an ultra wide angle shot - the transition between the sky colours is what actually happens in the morning (accentuated with the right type of clouds).

Second up, I like to use long exposures to smooth out water and give it that "dreamy" look - usually anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes - and to help with that I use a Singh-Ray 5-Stop ND filter. An interesting side effect of this filter is that it's not quite neutral - it tends to let in a bit of infra-red - and that tends to bias the colours slightly towards crimsons and purples. You can see a similar effect with this image here ...

up load

Third up, as the sun rises, even a 5-stop ND isn't enough to keep shutterspeeds over 30 seconds - so a "secret" technique I use is to simply shoot a burst of shots and then combine them in photoshop (with appropriate variances in opacity) - off memory the shot you were referring to was a combination of 4 shots - can't remember the exact shutterspeeds though.

Other than that, actual "manipulation" was minimal - usual dust bunnies and I "enhanced" the smoke from the ships funnel and made it parallel to the crane for just a touch of finesse

Probably the best advice for this kind of shot is just to get up early - get out with your camera - and learn what early morning light does. This particular shot was one of two that day when I was up at 4:45am - drive to the beach (1/2 hour) - don chest high waders - and make my way out over rocks into the ocean with two camera bags - a tripod - and a torch - and "setup camp", all in the dark - then start shooting as the sun rises. The other shot taken that day was this on ...

up load

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Ha, 'fussy' (smoke).
    Thats interesting actually, because I have never seen anything quite that colour.
    I do live in New Zealand however, so I guess we get differences.
    We have some very nice morning and sunset colours, just not quite that purple!

Real Name

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm in the Nelson region.

It's not actually quite that purple - the 5-Stop Singh-Ray MorSlo filter shifts those colours a bit.

As far as post-processing goes, I'm anything but a purist - my aim is simply to end up with something that looks as good as possible. I do try to get as much right in-camera as possible, but when it comes to things like white-balance adjustments & saturation etc then the only rule for me is "whatever makes it look the best". It's a fact of life that the camera doesn't capture a scene the way our eyes see it - and we don't remember a scene the way it actually was either (we tend to remember higher levels of saturation than were actually there as an example) - so I'm just aiming for something that's "idealistic" without abandoning "realistic". So far I've sold 3 22" x 44" framed canvas prints of that first of two shots in my last post - all because people "liked the colours" (and I liked the money they gave me - so it was a true win/win)

Have a merry one!

Cheers,

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

ok,
    so what colour was it really?

Real Name

"so what colour was it really?"

Very hard to say because the human brain doesn't remember things the way they were any more than a camera captures them the way they were. Best I can do is show you two successive shots (one with a filter and one without) - and let you compare it to one of the original shots of the image you're talking about.

In all cases the white balance is set to "as shot"

Little Kaiteriteri Sunsise - no filter ...

up load

Little Kaiteriteri Sunrise - With Filter ...

up load

Sunrise over Port Nelson - Revisited ... (1 of 4)

up load

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Last edited by Colin Southern; 14th January 2009 at 10:53 AM.