Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Referendum

Real Name
    ates

Referendum

I took some photos related to the constitutional referendum held in Turkey last month.
    here is the one I chose to share with you as a new member to the forum- a means to say hello everybody..
    ates

Referendum

Real Name
    John

Re: Referendum

Welcome to the group. What camera are you using and are you more interested in architecture or a combination of architecture and scenic/tourism photos?
    Last edited by McQ; 25th November 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Real Name
    ates

Hi john,
    Thanks for your welcome. I use a Leica D-Lux-4 and very happy with it.. I like to take photos of daily life around me, thus my subject matter is varied, so my interests don't lıe in any particular areas.. ıts more a case of what takes my fancy when I'm out and about..
    ates

Real Name
    Rick

Welcome! Is there another name we can use, or should we just stick with screen name?

I like the colors in this shot: the red on the banner and in the flags with the white building in front of the blue sky. You handled the exposure well: except for a little blown highlight at the top of the banner, there's a nice range of intensity.

I'd be inclined to remove the horizontal power or telephone lines. I don't know what you use for postprocessing, so I don't know whether that's easy or hard.

Likewise, I don't know if you want to try to correct the perspective, or if the effect of the building leaning away is something that you want to keep to keep a certain flavor.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    ates

Hi Rick,

My real name ates. I missed it ın my profile.

Thanks for your welcome and the comments the photo. After your suggestion I tried to remove them with ps9 and not particularly satisfied with the outcome. Unfortunately they are still noticebale. any suggestions for better software or is it just a matter of practıce? I have attached the corrected one for your opinion.

I would like to keep the perspective as it is, I think it adds more ınterest to the composıtıon of the photo.

Now you've poınted ıt out, the highlight you mentıoned is really disturbing. Is there any technique to reduce highlights locally?

ates

Referendum

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ates,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzo05 View Post
    After your suggestion I tried to remove them with ps9 and not particularly satisfied with the outcome. Unfortunately they are still noticebale. any suggestions for better software or is it just a matter of practıce? I have attached the corrected one for your opinion.
    To answer the question, it is practice but here are a few tips;

Keyboard "S" selects the Clone stamp tool
    Alt+mouse click samples, click fills.
    Change tool size with square brackets [ and ]

Zoom in to 100 - 200%, change sample size to suit intricacy of the detail of the areas you are working in.

It is best to work across what you are trying to remove, not along it, although that doesn't seem natural at first, it works better.

Where say, sky meets building; put the cursor directly on the building/sky boundary say, just below the wire, sample, then wipe upwards along the boundary (at whatever angle it crosses the wire). If the sample was off centre, you get a step in the building edge, so stop, Ctrl-Z to undo, resample, try again.

For plain sky areas; resample often from directly alongside, you can enlarge the tool size a bit for this.

Here's a bit of your picture I did at 214%;

Referendum

and at normal size;

Referendum

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd November 2010 at 08:32 PM.

Real Name
    Just call me David.

Hi Ates,

I would only want to add that for the wires against the flags and the building you should be prepared to spend some time cloning these out with a small brush size. It is easy, but it can be very tedious and time consuming. Be patient, and above all be willing. I would also advise you not to make your strokes too long for those fine details because the sample is so variable. When you are finished, you can use a small blur brush to minimize any wee details you have missed.

Additionally, you can also make a special brush for these kinds of features, or use one of the other built-in brushes rather than the circle brush. For wires and twigs I often us one of the Calligraphy brushes, and don't overlook the brush "hardness" setting and or the "airbrush" mode.

Cloning in Photoshop is an art that takes practice and patience, but most of the time it is well worth the effort. Can you imagine doing this in the darkroom under an enlarger?

Good luck,
    D.

Real Name
    ates

Thank you Dave and David,

for your suggestions for improvıng the image by cloning and sampling.

I have already started with it, but it seems that I have quite a job both technically and practically.. it wıll take some time, as commented above! Guess practice makes perfect and a bit faster too!!

Hope to come back with good result and share it proudly..

stay well
    ates

Real Name
    ates

Thanks to everybody who contributed to the development of my first photo in the forum.

Here is the result of those ideas, a decided improvement, I'm sure you will agree and I learnt a lot.

Glad to be part of the forum.

stay well

Referendum

Real Name
    Liz

Hey it looks much better, great job on the wires. Is there anyway to get rid of 'local highlights' that are too bright, anyone? Cloning?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mezzo05 View Post
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to the development of my first photo in the forum.

Here is the result of those ideas, a decided improvement, I'm sure you will agree and I learnt a lot.
    Hi Ates,

Excellent job on the cloning

From the jpg, I can't rescue any detail, but here's a few careful blobs of the Burn tool (Keyboard O) and use (right click selecet) the one shaped like a hand. At the top, I set it to 90px, Highlights and 20% exposure. The pixel size will need to be increased if you're working on a larger original.

Referendum

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just call me David.

Another possibility for the highlights, Ates, is the Replace Color tool. This one is pretty tricky, and, as usual, takes some practice. However, it can do a great job with local issues (like over sharpening halos, for example). I find it is best used within selections, because you can change the color, intensity, and saturation globally otherwise.

Good job on your original image, BTW. It looks much, much better. Also, I concur with your decision to maintain the building perspective as well, especially since there are diminutive people present in the scene who convey overall scale.

Cheers,
    David

Real Name
    Steve

I think this is cheers; wow that is where I would like to be. I would even make friends with the postman. **** I can't work out anything at the moment.

Real Name
    ates

when you guys, Dave & David, write about the tools and technics related to photo processing, I realize how much I am just at the beginning..

So thank you for your leadership, for taking the time to offer your advice and very much for your compliments on my efforts, it is very much aprieciated..

stay well

Real Name
    Richard

Welsome to the forum. I dearly want to travel to Turkey in the near future...

I have another suggestion regarding the image... Perhaps you might try cropping the image just below the red awnings and therefore cropping out the people at the bottom. They keep trying to attract my eye but, since there are only portions of the people shown, it is more of a distraction to me than addition... However, IMO, if you show an image to ten photographers, you will get ten different ideas of how it should be presented...

Real Name
    ates

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Welsome to the forum. I dearly want to travel to Turkey in the near future...

I have another suggestion regarding the image... Perhaps you might try cropping the image just below the red awnings and therefore cropping out the people at the bottom. They keep trying to attract my eye but, since there are only portions of the people shown, it is more of a distraction to me than addition... However, IMO, if you show an image to ten photographers, you will get ten different ideas of how it should be presented...
    Thank you for sharing your point of view on my photo.

Generally with such photos I include more space for the people, although not full length, to contribute to the scaling. IMO this particular shot was not particularly successful, because, I was very busy with the flags and I missed the lower portion.

Thanks for your interest and sharing your ideas with me.