Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is not pretty

Real Name
    Raylee

This is not pretty

This is not meant to be a pretty photo. I was trying for a grunge look. I found the feathers in the backyard after some heavy rain. Do you think the triptych works? Did I achieve the grunge look? My better half has already told me that he doesn't like it so I'm a bit nervous asking for comments. Like I said, it's not meant to be pretty.

This is not pretty

Real Name
    John

Re: This is not pretty

There's nothing wrong with the concept. You could try different backgrounds, closeup shots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Do you think the triptych works?
    Yes. The concept is good. The subject matter is appropriate. And it's well executed.

Did I achieve the grunge look?
    I suppose I'm not sure what we mean by 'grunge', but applying my interpretation, I don't think so. But, equally, I don't think you should. It works as it is. But if grunge means what you did, then you've achieved it .... If you see what I mean !?

My better half has already told me that he doesn't like it ...
    I trust the poor soul is making a good recovery!

Of the three parts, I particularly like the left-hand pane for its tone and mood. I am wondering if the crop is a little too tight (but am not sure).

Nothing wrong with the middle pane, although maybe if the feather was a little greyer/dirtier and less white it might have been more grungie!

A small rotate on the right-hand pane would have made the spine (is that what you call it?) of the feather run more from bottom right to top left and more closely mirror the opposite angle shown in the left-hand pane, thus contributing more symmetry (but maybe you didn't want that).

Real Name
    Elise

But if grunge means what you did, then you've achieved it .... If you see what I mean !?
    Yes, "grunge" is generally taken to mean what she did, although there's a wide variety of what can fall under the term. Raylee, I really like it -- yes, it's not "pretty," but it's pleasing in its symmetry and the way you've arranged the light/dark feathers and backgrounds. I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I suppose I'm not sure what we mean by 'grunge'...
    A type of rock music that developed in the late 1980s and was influenced by punk and heavy metal. It was the hallmark of 'Generation X', a term developed by the photographer Robert Capa to define the generation born after the baby-boomers (that's us Donald). Kurt Cobain (suicide) and his band Nirvana, from the west coast/Seattle area of the US were leading grunge musicians.

In a stylistic sense I always thought it just meant dirty, casual, a lack of order and discipline. Or as Col Frank Fitts says in 'American Beauty' "You need structure and discipline"

I'd just assume it means scruffy.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    A type of rock music that developed in the late 1980s and was influenced by punk and heavy metal.
    Aahh, that's the problem. So there was no influence from Scottish traditional folk music? That's probably why I missed it.

Aahh, that's the problem. So there was no influence from Scottish traditional folk music? That's probably why I missed it.
    Who started this thread?.... Ah Raylee (sorry about this Raylee)

Donald - I think you are more Aly Bain than Kurt Cobain. I'm more Perry Como.

Raylee, a very good photographic effort there. It's good to try something different. I do think the triptych effect works, the two outer shots seems to hold and frame the centre (which surely must be one of the purposes of a triptych). I might have chosen a plainer backdrop - don't know about that.

Hope you don't mind us expanding out into a discussion of post-war musical influences with an emphasis on Scotland (you started it with the word grunge) Anyway, half of NZ and Australia is populated with Scots. For example, that geezer, Colin - he's definitely a Scot...
    Last edited by carregwen; 17th November 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Real Name
    Kay

I really like the balance and the symmetry Raylee and a very good one to get us thinking....

and 'other halves' are notorious for these opinions....I show mine a favourite sporting shot all nice and sharp and with the ball & whatever else I wanted.....only to have him reply..."So who is it"
    To which I cry "It doesn't matter who it's the technique ........."

I'll let you imagine the rest

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks for the feedback - that's what I was after - ideas and suggestions. Much appreciated

Who started this thread?.... Ah Raylee (sorry about this Raylee)

Donald - I think you are more Aly Bain than Kurt Cobain. I'm more Perry Como.

Raylee, a very good photographic effort there. It's good to try something different. I do think the triptych effect works, the two outer shots seems to hold and frame the centre (which surely must be one of the purposes of a triptych). I might have chosen a plainer backdrop - don't know about that.

Hope you don't mind us expanding out into a discussion of post-war musical influences with an emphasis on Scotland (you started it with the word grunge) Anyway, half of NZ and Australia is populated with Scots. For example, that geezer, Colin - he's definitely a Scot...
    And I have no complaints about further discussion of music and the Scots.

1. If you are Perry Como - I'm Morrissey. I love my music - punk, new wave, goth, grunge...
    2. I have Scottish ancestry - the McInnes migrated from Argyll to Australia in 1832 and settled in the district that is now Queanbeyan and Canberra. I am one of the rare inhabitants of Canberra whose family has always been here. Most Canberrans are relative new-comers.

Real Name
    Raylee

Speaking of the Scots, I work with a Scotsman from Motherwell - wicked sense of humour. But Donald, he told me to tell you to stop singing. He says the singing gets worse the further north you go.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Speaking of the Scots, I work with a Scotsman from Motherwell - wicked sense of humour. But Donald, he told me to tell you to stop singing. He says the singing gets worse the further north you go.
    Tell him I'm actually from near Fort William - further north and in the heart of Scots gaelic culture. Here, the songs are all about massacres and being thrown off the land by unscrupulous landlords and being forced to emigrate never to see our homeland again. Oh, and there's the bit about loved ones being lost in tragedies at sea.

We have a wow time at parties!

It's hard to believe this, I know... http://www.ozcoisir.org/ All part of the rich tapestry of human culture...

Real Name
    Raylee

Tell him I'm actually from near Fort William - further north and in the heart of Scots gaelic culture. Here, the songs are all about massacres and being thrown off the land by unscrupulous landlords and being forced to emigrate never to see our homeland again. Oh, and there's the bit about loved ones being lost in tragedies at sea.

We have a wow time at parties!
    I'm having visions of Local Hero and I can hear the Mark Knopfler music too. William Wallace has also popped into my head. It's very busy in there.

On a similar note, have you seen the TV series A History of Scotland? Wonderful camera work and production - so moody. It makes me want to hop on a plane.

It's hard to believe this, I know... http://www.ozcoisir.org/ All part of the rich tapestry of human culture...
    And how did you find that?

Real Name
    Kay

I thought the same thing Raylee.....and we thought the inner workings of Steve's mind was a little daunting!
    I suspect he is a closet 'Scotophile' and has a kilt hidden under the tapestry in the spare room.

Real Name
    Raylee

I've had another go at the dirty old feathers - again the other half doesn't like it. I think this might be my project for a bit.

I'm reasonably happy with this one. What do you think?

This is not pretty

And how did you find that?
    Google

I've had another go at the dirty old feathers - again the other half doesn't like it. I think this might be my project for a bit.

I'm reasonably happy with this one. What do you think?

This is not pretty
    (serious mode)... Yes, I think I prefer this one. The problem with the triptych is I couldn't see enough detail. Nice composition here and the tonal range is very nice. Good. Why don't you pop it in the mono comp? Monochrome mini competition #62

Re: Feather

This is not pretty

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm having visions of Local Hero
    I know this is getting very silly and I apologise, but ....

All the studio work for that was actually done in a former whisky warehouse in the distillery that my dad worked in, about a 1/2 mile from our house. The scenes with the Burt Lancaster character in his office and his shrink hanging on to the glass roof outside .... done in that whisky warehouse. All the beach scenes were done at Morar, about 40 minutes from where I grew up.

ps - Re the 'new' feather in post #15, how would it look if you rotated the whole image so that it ran upwards from bottom left to top right instead of down from top right to bottom left?

pps - And as for the Australian Gaelic Choir ....!

Re: Feather

I would like to put my very humble two cents in, please. The first triptych just didn't seem to be working. Sorry, however, because I have no idea why - I could be wrong, in fact. It's such a great idea, though. See, now, if I were going to approach this, I'd probably treat them like they were botanical prints (OH! I just had an idea... anyhoo...) The point being, that it's great that you're not just doing the same ol', same ol'. In the second one, the lines on/between the feathers fronds (or whatever you call them) are so strong that it almost makes the feather not look natural. Maybe that's what you wanted - to show the "bones" or patterns in it.

I throw this out as just a thought - trying to figure it out. I'm really interested to see where you go with this!!!

Also, I love how what one person is working on is inspirational to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast