Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fog towards Fife

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Fog towards Fife

I don't often (think I've only done it once before) crop to a 3:1 aspect ratio. But this one seemed to work best in that format.

Fog towards Fife
    40D, 70-200 f4 L IS @ 70mm. ISO 100. 3s @ f16. 5 stop (3 +2) GND. Manual. 07:11am
    Last edited by Donald; 6th November 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Fog towards Fife

Hi Donald,

Looks good to me

That's some pretty heavy-duty GND you've applied there! Do you think and EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM might be next on the cards?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM might be next on the cards?
    Don't tempt me. The trigger finger has hovered over the 'Proceed to check out' button on more than one occasion.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I don't often (think I've only done it once before) cropped to a 3:1 aspect ratio. But this one seemed to work best in that format.

Fog towards Fife
    40D, 70-200 f4 L IS @ 70mm. ISO 100. 3s @ f16. 5 stop (3 +2) GND. Manual. 07:11am
    Very nice composition - love the 'Zed' shape that takes your eye up through the picture.

My only criticism - and not of the image - is that I still don't like these broad white borders that seem to be 'all the rage' around here
    I find I have to get up close real to the monitor, forcing the 'bright white' into my peripheral vision area to be able to see the image tones, I just cannot appreciate them fully when viewed at normal distance - it's like trying to watch TV with the set in front of a bright patio window/door when it is sunny outside

Maybe my eyes are going, or I should clean my glasses - I definitely seem to be in the minority with this viewpoint.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don't tempt me. The trigger finger has hovered over the 'Proceed to check out' button on more than one occasion.
    Well if it helps ...

... the EF24-70mm F/2.8L USM was my first L-Series lens - I still have it - and wouldn't part with it for love nor money.

Oops, you said DON'T tempt me ... me bad!

Real Name
    Pops

Dave, right click, open in new tab, increase your zoom level to 135%. See if that works for you. It does for me.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    Dave, right click, open in new tab, increase your zoom level to 135%. See if that works for you. It does for me.

Pops
    Yes that's another way

Thanks,

Two words.....******* Gorgeous. You surpass even the high standards of your good self. The tones are as right as you will ever get them. You do not just capture a landcape you capture the most important part. The mood. This has mood in buckets. You once pointed us to a website of a scots photographer who inspired you. I said then your stuff was better. I suggest you go back to that site and compare this photograph with his offerings. I think you may find you have a new inspiration....YOU

You know I speak my mind with landscapes because as a rule they bore the socks off me. I will drone on about fluffy water, shiny rocks and piers disappearing into Narnia. But, it is images like this that restore my faith that there are indeed landcape artists.

Just read that back and its a bit sugary....so I would have that on my bog wall any day. And to quote the great Rab, C. Nesbitt "Life....When you get right down tae it, there's only the on switch, the green box and the off switch . Everything else is pure bloody guesswork!

Donald, I aspire...

(Oh, I should say, "I doubly aspire - between this and the Oct. Comp. landscape. I'm just going to nip on over to check out the weather and see if we're getting any fog soon!)

Real Name
    Jeroen

What a brilliant shot Donald. Absolutely brilliant!
    I don't know what else to say (besides I agree with Steve )
    Your photo makes me want to be in this dream-world (And probably try to get anywhere near your brilliant shot with my camera).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ...love the 'Zed' shape that takes your eye up through the picture.
    That's his sub-conscious working. He's getting the Z-Pro Cokin filters soon. A pro shot, Donald. Just need the filters now.

Real Name
    Peter

Ditto all round Donald. Absolutely brilliant work.

Real Name
    Tim

Nice, very dreamy

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Donald - a true stunner.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you one and all for your comments. And sorry about the borders Dave. Think of it as a phase that I'll probably pass through!

I looked at the RAW file for a week and at times was close to dumping it. I couldn't see the image I wanted from the picture I took. It looked great when I pressed the button, but didn't 'feel' right when I got it home.

Then I saw the 3:1 aspect ratio and that made it. Because I wasn't thinking 3:1 when I shot it, nor when I was looking at it on screen, I didn't see that option. And then it clicked into place.

Lesson - Run through all the options in your head.

This and the October competition runner-up owe a debt of gratitude to Wendy. She was the person who showed us (me) what could really be done with foggy scenes.