Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Interior Shots

Real Name
    David

Some Interior Shots

Following the discussion in the Bryce Canyon thread:

Bryce Canyon Hoodoos

here are three of tone-mapped HDR images of a living room. I would have posted these about a year ago, but other images appeared at that time that made these look rather pathetic. However, in light of what's just been posted and the interest shown by John and Paul these may be of use. They were processed via 3 shots +/- 2 stops using a Canon 40D, and Picturenaut as the HDR software. As I recall the total dynamic range was about 13 stops.

Some Interior Shots

This first shot shows, quite clearly, the grey coals in the gas-fire place. A normal shot shows a black hole. The light fittings and the lights are clearly seen and the colours in the paintings are reasonable accurate. Reflections can be seen in the glass of the paintings.

Some Interior Shots

The second image again shows the lights very well delineated and the colours of the mahogany table, chairs, and chest are more or less spot on. Shadow areas are well defined. No single shot is likely to have achieved this.

Some Interior Shots

This third shot is a day-time image with the outside well defined as well as the interior lights. There is also half a cat visible in the dark of a box!

These are all realistic type tone-mapped images. The problems that arise are mainly from getting colours correct as well as the general tonality.

Cheers

David
    Last edited by David; 6th November 2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: continuation

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Some Interior Shots

Nicely done...

Did you use one of the built-in tone-mapping algorithms, or export as 32-bit and work from there?

Cheers

Peter

Real Name
    John

Very subtle. The color and tones look great!

Real Name
    David

Peter/John - I used Picturenaut throughout for these with the Photoreceptor tone-mapping algorithm. I have and do use the idea of creating the HDR file with one piece of software and then saving as .hdr or .exr before using another piece of software for tone-mapping. However, I've done this mostly to check out various algorithms. I quite like HDR PhotoStudio and Artizen to create the HDR files as they both allow some editing of the 32-bit data. However, for photo-realistic tone-mapping my preference is Picturenaut. OTOH, if I'm in a hurry I use Photomatix Pro from start to finish.

David