Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Walk In The Park

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

My Walk In The Park

Went for a walk in the park with my son. C&C is welcome. What you like and don't like about them. Thanks in advance.

Just a Crane
    My Walk In The Park

Rabbit from ground view

My Walk In The Park

Son

My Walk In The Park

Re: My Walk In The Park

Hi Sam

#3 looks as if the white balance is wrong to me. Also the exposure seems quite dark, which is surprising as according to the EXIF everything seemed to be on standard/auto setting. Here is the histogram - you can see how it lacks brightness.

My Walk In The Park

I did an edit. I corrected the WB in RAW edit (CS5), then increased the light levels in Photoshop. Also sharpened it a little. How did you process it? I thought it looked better composition-wise as a square.

My Walk In The Park

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Rob,

I think something might have gone a bit wrong at your end; the image looked spot on from my end - I gave it a slight tweak ... didn't touch the WB - inc exposure about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop, and brought the black clipping point in slightly (but also used a touch of fill light and added a vignette).

Your version is looking severely over-exposed with a fairly strong blue cast through it.

PS: Keeping in mind that the histogram WILL stop short of the right hand side because there aren't any highlights in the image (apart from the whites of the eyes).

My Walk In The Park

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Rob,

I think something might have gone a bit wrong at your end; the image looked spot on from my end - I gave it a slight tweak ... didn't touch the WB - inc exposure about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop, and brought the black clipping point in slightly (but also used a touch of fill light and added a vignette).

Your version is looking severely over-exposed with a fairly strong blue cast through it.

PS: Keeping in mind that the histogram WILL stop short of the right hand side because there aren't any highlights in the image (apart from the whites of the eyes).

My Walk In The Park
    Colin, you forgot that the POHMs are a pale lot - not much sun over there.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Colin, you forgot that the POHMs are a pale lot - not much sun over there.
    Well I could be wrong (and I frequently am) - and I appreciate that this is an image with pretty high saturation levels, but I think Sam's version looked superb. I'd be proud to have taken that shot.

Well I could be wrong (and I frequently am) - and I appreciate that this is an image with pretty high saturation levels, but I think Sam's version looked superb. I'd be proud to have taken that shot.
    I think it's that T-shirt. It's a very unusual vivid colour and perhaps it's throwing out the WB. All I'm getting is a green/orange tint to the whole shot. It doesn't look natural to me. I'd like to see the RAW.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I think it's that T-shirt. It's a very unusual vivid colour and perhaps it's throwing out the WB. All I'm getting is a green/orange tint to the whole shot. It doesn't look natural to me. I'd like to see the RAW.
    Thanks for the comments and PP work. I did not do anything to it before posting.
    Colin- I think this looks better to me than the portaiture attempts because it is natural and not being forced.
    Here is the link to the raw file.
    https://www.sendthisfile.com/oeb8KzeE1DUVJXnMdW3utLBQ

Hi Sam

Many thanks for the RAW. This is the best I can do with it. It's a good shot, and I agree with you it looks very good in a natural setting, although that gras behind the model is rather eye-catching, which is one reason I did a square crop. The colour problems seems much improved now having done a proper edit with the original. It's not my monitor because looking at Colin's and my latest together, Colin's looks very saturated.

My Walk In The Park

Real Name

What is a POHNs? Never heard of it.

Real Name

Rob and Colin- Thank you for spending you extra time on the photo. As usual it looks better than mine.
    The shot was taken with the setting sun just hitting the horizon. The whole reason for the shots was for me to get over people looking and staring while I was taking photos. I am not used to it yet. I will be real soon.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Hi Sam

Many thanks for the RAW. This is the best I can do with it. It's a good shot, and I agree with you it looks very good in a natural setting, although that gras behind the model is rather eye-catching, which is one reason I did a square crop. The colour problems seems much improved now having done a proper edit with the original. It's not my monitor because looking at Colin's and my latest together, Colin's looks very saturated.

My Walk In The Park
    Hi Rob,

The WB in this version looks spot on, so it's really just the difference in saturation between the two now.

My (and Sam's version) are definitely very highly saturated ... I think it makes the background look better, whilst it also makes the foreground highly saturated, I think it does it in a way that still looks ok, whereas a highly saturated background with a normally saturated foreground would't look right.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Rob and Colin- Thank you for spending you extra time on the photo. As usual it looks better than mine.
    The shot was taken with the setting sun just hitting the horizon. The whole reason for the shots was for me to get over people looking and staring while I was taking photos. I am not used to it yet. I will be real soon.
    Sam - you make a very good point there - getting the subject to do what we want and for us not to be too self conscious of onlookers, so both photographer & subject can relax is another tricky peice of this whole equation.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    What is a POHNs? Never heard of it.
    Sorry to confuse you Sam. I was having a 'dig' at Rob. His first attempt (without the RAW file) was quiet pale in colour. POHMs are what we Aussies call the Brits - when they sent us out here many years ago they had these initials on the back of the convict suits - Prisioner of Her Majesty. We still affectionatley call the Brits POHMs

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    POHMs are what we Aussies call the Brits - when they sent us out here many years ago they had these initials on the back of the convict suits - Prisioner of Her Majesty. We still affectionatley call the Brits POHMs
    So PoHM should really refer to Austealians?

Real Name
    Peter

So PoHM should really refer to Austealians?
    That's fair comment Colin, those first POHM became the Aussies of today. The Brits didn't want us so sent us here hopeuflly to fade into the never never BUT look at the Commonwealth Games - were are back. (Don't mention the cricket).

Real Name

Thanks. I get it now.

I think the full terminology for us pallid skinned moaning northerners is 'Whinging POM'. I expect that it is because our expectations are somewhat less than fulfilled when we step off that 21 hour Quantas flight

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I think the full terminology for us pallid skinned moaning northerners is 'Whinging POM'. I expect that it is because our expectations are somewhat less than fulfilled when we step off that 21 hour Quantas flight
    The long-standing joke is "Qantas pilots know that they have a plane load of poms onboard when - after a 21 hour flight - they can still hear the whining 20 minutes after they've shut down the (whining) engines!"

PS: I'm allowed to tell that joke because technically I'm a Pom!

We built an Empire on whining. Don't think those colonial wars were won by the red coat and brown Bess...oh no. 20 minutes of that whining (the heat, the flies, the lack of a decent pub) and we swept the field. Nothing could endure the Great British Whinge. Except the Americans They were far better at it than us (taxes too high, no parliamentary representation, banning the wearing of pink velour track suits in public) so we gave them there own great big country to do it in where nobody can hear them. And we got to send our nonconformist whingers there to. Hows that for neat colonial policy.

Actually given the number US members who may own fire arms I guess I should run for cover at this point

Real Name

That is our Constitutional right to bare arms. You may have sent us over here but, the way we look at it , it backfired. Free and Independent. We are free to screw up our selfs and we are doing a good job of it.
    By the way didn't mean to start a international incident. It was only a walk in a park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast