Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stockport Lamp

Real Name
    David

Stockport Lamp

Here's a non-HDR image from me that I've been working on today. Apart from cropping out distracting bits and pieces, the image has had some perspective correction and has been blended via overlay with a blurred copy, a la Orton. I've left the wire in at the bottom as a "repousoir", a technique used by painters to draw in the eye from the edge of the frame. As usual I welcome comments.

Stockport Lamp

Cheers

David

Re: Stockport Lamp

this pic really does not do much for me its not iinteresting,its not attractive, the lampshade is boring but the wall looks promising the wire is surely keeping my eyes in the frame,though i dont want tooo! keeping the wire is a clever trick this pic can easily be ignored,for lack of interesting subject

Real Name
    Chris

I wonder if it is just the shadow and brickwork that caught your eye, as yes the lamp is a modern repro of no great craftsmanship and meanwhile trying to correct brickwork perspective has spoilt its brickiness - quick alternative offering
    Chris
    Last edited by crisscross; 21st March 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Hi David, I would have cropped it to remove the wire - but I understand why you have left it in - personal preference. I tried another crop just to keep the shadow and that portion of the wall - I really like the shadow of the glass - interesting.
    Cheers, Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I wonder if it is just the shadow and brickwork that caught your eye, as yes the lamp is a modern repro of no great craftsmanship and meanwhile trying to correct brickwork perspective has spoilt its brickiness - quick alternative offering
    Chris
    Hi Chris - we were both replying at the same time - yes - your crop is exactly what I was tinkering with. Cheers, Richard.

Real Name
    David

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems this one has split opinion. It was the contrast between the wavy nature of the shadow and the plain glass of the lamp that looked attractive and a bit odd to me. Thus, I did not want to crop out the lamp itself. I'm not sure how the "brickiness" is spoilt; perhaps that's the way bricks are in Stockport!

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

David

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm not sure how the "brickiness" is spoilt; perhaps that's the way bricks are in Stockport!
    David
    Bricks usually do show perspective (used to have to get rid of it all to use pattern for 3D architectural simulation in Microstation)

Chris

Um. I LOVE this photo!!!!

I love the colors, texture, pattern, shadow, composition. A+ from me!

Real Name
    David

Thanks Susan - you can come again!

David