Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Strumble Head

Strumble Head

A great location on the Pembrokeshire coast, about an hour's drive from where I live. All taken last week with Canon 5D and 24-105L

Map of area

The Youth Hostel (top of cliff)

Strumble Head

The rest are of the lighthouse

Strumble Head

Strumble Head

Strumble Head

Real Name
    David

Re: Strumble Head

Hi Rob - I'm struck by how alike this area is to the coast around my cottage in SW Scotland. Probably there is a close geological similarity. We even have a lighthouse, but it's puny compared to the one shown. Heather and grass are also the same.

The photographs are excellent to my eye, with the exposure and colour balance spot on. That lens and camera combination seems to work extremely well. The composition of #2 is very good indeed. I like the expanse of water in the bay with the different levels of texture. It seems to hold my eye, waiting for a seal to pop out. I have a feeling from the reflected light that you did not use a CP filter. I wonder what it would have looked like if such had been used.

Cheers

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Rob - I'm struck by how alike this area is to the coast around my cottage in SW Scotland. Probably there is a close geological similarity. We even have a lighthouse, but it's puny compared to the one shown. Heather and grass are also the same.

The photographs are excellent to my eye, with the exposure and colour balance spot on. That lens and camera combination seems to work extremely well. The composition of #2 is very good indeed. I like the expanse of water in the bay with the different levels of texture. It seems to hold my eye, waiting for a seal to pop out. I have a feeling from the reflected light that you did not use a CP filter. I wonder what it would have looked like if such had been used.

Cheers

David
    Thanks David. The combination of 5D and 24-105L works really well for a whole range of shots. I think Canon got it right there! I bought both camera and lens used last year for a total of £1,000 - a bargain I think.

I prefer #2 also. It's a great area, we are so lucky to live here. Just down from the lighthouse we had just spent an hour watching a family of grey seals playing on the beach, including two white pups.

Real Name
    John

Great feeling of depth in the photographs, you can sense the danger of moving to close to the edge.