Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Decay

Real Name
    Gareth

Urban Decay

After being inspired to explore examples of local urban decay, I stopped off at the local rollercoaster on my way to work this morning. It used to be a working Grade II listed Scenic Railway roller coaster, until it caught fire in 2008, and has been shut ever since.

Unfortunately I only had my little point and shoot with me, so the quality's not good, but would be interested to get some feedback and c&c.

cheers

dreamland-2010-09-28-.jpg

dreamland-2010-09-28-b.jpg

[dreamland-2010-09-28-d.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dragonaxe; 28th September 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Urban Decay

I like the putty cat and the weeds.

Real Name
    Wendy

Oh Yeah! number 1 for sure. The cat in the foreground makes the shot (wish I could explain why). I agree that you should get out there and take more of these. I'm guilty of taking "pretty" shots, but I find urban decay and some of the not so pretty things in everyday life have far more impact and to me seem more useful and relevant. I think the same goes with this type of shot as with the pretty ones though. There has to be more than just the decay, somehow you have to get the mood into it. That seems to be the hard part, and in the first one I think somehow the cat gives it what it needs to make it interesting. You can't just go putting a cat in every shot though.

Wendy

That is so sad! This big monster - a scrape on the landscape that no one is trying to heal. Yech! They built it, then, left it?! I think that you could get more emotion in these. The weeds and trash cans approach it. Like, for example, somehow, showing bigger and emptier. You need a "tumbleweed" and "crickets". wide angle? low to the ground? Something broken and dangling? I don't know. A close up on a "do not enter sign". A conjunction between something that stands for fun and something that's really forbidding with the focus on the forbidding. It needs a clearer story, perhaps, instead of just a pic of it. What do you think?

I keep thinking that I need a cat. I want to take photos of home and coziness. I'm desperately allergic, though. I keep thinking, "a cat, right about now, would be handy!" =]

There are universal themes to be expressed in things that are beautiful, too. Right?

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    There are universal themes to be expressed in things that are beautiful, too. Right?
    Agreed! but the world is not always a pretty place, and somehow I think photography is a great way to make a point. There are enough people talking blah, blah, blah, blah, about what is wrong, and planning how to fix it, but a well executed picture is worth a thousand words. No?

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Agreed! but the world is not always a pretty place, and somehow I think photography is a great way to make a point. There are enough people talking blah, blah, blah, blah, about what is wrong, and planning how to fix it, but a well executed picture is worth a thousand words. No?

Wendy
    Of course! =]

Real Name
    Jim

Katy,

I like them all.I've been planning to do this in my city.Here there's more abandoned factories(most steel related).The parks and local attractions are surviving,barely.We've switched from steel and coal production to tourism as a base for the economy.

Hmmmm, Jim, I think that your comment shows me that I didn't express myself too well. I really do like #2 particularly!!! I was more wondering what you guys thought about some more thoughts and angles rather than thinking (in any possible way) that I'm an expert or extremely opinionated about it all! Just thinking about the genre...... thinking about the situation.....

Also, I am from Los Angeles originally. I know the ache and anger about the down side of a lot of these issues. Heck, we always get the downsides of the economy magnified HERE, in this small town, too.....

oh, Gareth, I'm not that critical a person (except for myself) at all - just distracted. Sorry!

Real Name
    Gareth

no need to apologise katy . There are a lot of towns in decline in the uk too. Margate was top of the list of most closed shops in a main street last year. It is very sad to see. So ideally id like to find opportunities for pics which have a hint of positivity in them, as well as grime. Oh, and I'm allergic to cats too...so we will both have to make do with a cosy armchair and a BIG hot chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by dragonaxe View Post
    no need to apologise katy . There are a lot of towns in decline in the uk too. Margate was top of the list of most closed shops in a main street last year. It is very sad to see. So ideally id like to find opportunities for pics which have a hint of positivity in them, as well as grime.
    Thanks, Gareth! Phew! I think that I just don't have the words to technically describe why I felt so angry. Soooo, that must mean that your photos said something!

Gareth

Great start.

No1 I know Bagpuss was the focal point but I can't help feeling that the composition would have benefitted from the top rail of the roller coaster intersecting with the top left corner of the frame.

No2; I like this one. But again, here, the trellis of the roller coaster structure should have filled the frame to get rid of that triangle of white and bright sky.

No 3; It is a little soft all over. Camera shake? This one is not as punchy. I think getting close up and dirty helps with these subjects.

General.; You can get much more adventurous with levels and curves adjustment with b/w. No 2 in particular is suffering a bit from grey out due to the predominance of mid-tones. It often benefits b/w rendition if you push the contrast up a little. With the last one you have our British photographers bane...the white sky. You can tackle this PP because to be honest unless you have an ND grad filter and are shooting scenes with a flattish horizon you are going to struggle. A polarising filter and/or red filter may help with b/w. In PP it is perfectly acceptable to have a bunch of sky photos that are perfectly exposed and then add them to your scene (or vice versa). Another way is to make your levels, curves and contrast adjustments for the sky and structure separately by masking each alternately.This may be difficult here with the trellis works.

Experiment with dodging and burning but start off sparingly and build up. And lastly push USM further than you would for colour. USM has the potential to make some b/w images if applied with care

Steve

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I'm impressed that you thought to take the cat!
    I realise that you're using a point and shoot but the images lack a little bite. You have inspired me though, and I'm going to have to get of my fat a**** and record the degradation in my disgraceful town.
    Don't hold your breath.

Gareth

Did I not tell you this was a good idea? Was I not correct? Am I not one of the beautiful people? (Don't reply to that one)

Very good start here. You are definitely on the right track. This is just the sort of thing I meant. You see what great potential material you have on your doorstep? OK, it's not pretty please Wales, but it still males a great subject. I know you were just trying it out with your P&S but Steve is right in that you need to get more contrast and umph into shots like this.

I did a quick edit of #2 just to show how you can get more out of them...

Urban Decay

Real Name
    Jim

Hmmmm, Jim, I think that your comment shows me that I didn't express myself too well. I really do like #2 particularly!!! I was more wondering what you guys thought about some more thoughts and angles rather than thinking (in any possible way) that I'm an expert or extremely opinionated about it all! Just thinking about the genre
    If you were going for the "feel" of abandonment,the wide angle shot doesn't work for me.It looks like the park could still be in operation.
    The other 2 work pretty good because of the obvious(weeds and spray painted sign).
    I can't help much with angles.Maybe try some shots through the windows if there is anything interesting behind them.

I realise that you're using a point and shoot
    Apologies, I didn't realise you were using a fixed lens camera. Scrub the bit in my post above about filters

Rob has demonstrated PP techniques excellently

Steve

Real Name
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    No 3; It is a little soft all over. Camera shake? This one is not as punchy. I think getting close up and dirty helps with these subjects.
    Yeah, #3 was my fault. It's not camera shake...I cropped using picassa, and thought "hmm wonder what 'glow' does "
    Now I know that it just messes up the sharpness, lol.

Real Name
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    I realise that you're using a point and shoot but the images lack a little bite
    when you say "bite". Do you mean compositionally, or tonally?

Real Name
    Gareth

Thanks for ALL the c&c folks!

This is exactly why I love this forum. Everyone is here to help everyone else. You're all a fantastic resource to newbie and expert alike

I was back at the rollercoaster this morning (with my proper camera) and took what I hope are better compositional shots. And did some auto exposure bracketing, so I can do a little layering/HDR. But I've just realised I've left my USB cable at home! so can't transfer them

But the cat was back again, so he'll be in some of them I'm sure. (and no, he is real!...I didn't take a stuffed one along, just to make everyone go "aaaaaawwwww"!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonaxe View Post

But I've just realised I've left my USB cable at home! so can't transfer them

Is there not a card slot in the PC?

Real Name
    Gareth

not in my work laptop. do you think that's good enough reason to ask for an upgrade?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast