Thread: Going east on Highway 120

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Going east on Highway 120

Okay, after that deviation with my last post to study a woman's legs .....!

I already posted an image and referred to the day there was a big fire about 30/40 miles south of me near Mammoth Lakes, and the effect of the smoke lingering in the air as it drifted northwards.

As I drove east along Highway 120 on that day there were wonderful scenes as the light was being distorted by the smoke haze.

Your thoughts on this image will be welcomed.

Going east on Highway 120

Real Name
    Jean

Re: Going east on Highway 120

This nice picture needs an explanation as you did, otherwise IMO it seems quiet unreal to have the BG so diffuse and such a FG clear, maybe in color it would be more explicit?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Majestic; wanna drive....

I really like this one Donald. The range of textures and light effects becomes more striking the more I look at it.

If I could think of one thing to change (and that's debatable), I would add a tiny bit more contrast to the mountains and sky. That said it stands on its own as a striking landscape, experience and image. Thank you for sharing!

Real Name
    mark

Being accustom to the smoke In the area almost every year I can picture it in color. It looks really good in Black and white.

Real Name
    Richard

I love images in which the distance is delineated by the clarity with the further background being less clear!

Real Name
    Binnur

I really like it Donald

Very strong image Donald. But I'm not so sure about composition. I would like to see more road, and maybe less sky.

Inviato dal mio Z00D utilizzando Tapatalk

Real Name
    John

So can we assume that this entire series can be themed "earth, wind, and fire"? Leading lines, haze, tones, and shapes; what more can you ask for in a landscape. Nicely composed and exposed.

Real Name
    Maurice

Supreme image, like the composition and light.

Real Name
    Paul David

Nicely done, Donald.

Real Name
    randy

My favorite thus far

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for these comments.

I hope people who are maybe studying landscape and trying to get to grips with composition, will reflect on Nicola's comments. I selected what I thought was the strongest composition, but that is only one person's interpretation. Nicola had some other ideas that should cause us to stop and think. It's good to set youreself the test of looking at this and asking how the composition could be improved.

We can never stop learning.

Real Name
    Dan

I don't have much to offer in the way of comments, Donald. The smoke certainly produces a different effect than typical atmospheric haze. I do have a question. I've noticed you often present your images in a square format. Do you plan it that way at time of capture? Or is that decision made when you get into PP?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I do have a question. I've noticed you often present your images in a square format. Do you plan it that way at time of capture? Or is that decision made when you get into PP?
    The picture is composed in camera to be square, Dan.

You are correct, most of my images are in a square format. Simply because I like it and thinks it makes for a powerful image. On the few occasions I use another ratio (7:5; 16:9 or 4:5) my composition in camera is made with that ratio in mind.

I do have a set of cardboard cut-outs in my bag in each of these ratios. I used to use them all the time for composing a shot before actually pressing the shutter. However, nowadays I am lucky that I can set the view in the viewfinder (or LCD screen) on my Canon 5DS to one of a number of rations; e.g. 1:1 (square). So I am composing the image in the camera only seeing a square. The rest of the viewfinder is blacked-out.

In the same way that I never change my mind about an image being in colour or B & W (that decision is made at the time of capture), then I never change my mind about the aspect ratio. If an image planned to be square doesn't work as well as I hoped, but looks great at, say, 16:9, I will not make a 16:9 image. Instead I will dump the file. That is just one of the 'rules' I impose upon myself. I started applying these 'rules' a number of years ago and have never wavered from them. I think it makes sure I pay more attention when I'm setting up the shot and capturing the photograph.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for explaining that, Donald. The in-camera crop is a handy feature to have. The D810 has the same feature but square is not one of the options. As to the rest of your discussion, I think I'll stick with my wildlife. Too much thinking to do shooting landscape