Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: creepy house

creepy house

My point and shoot doesn't go wide enough so this is stitched from 3 shots and I noticed bit of distortion on chimneys. It was from the second day of freak deep snow in January most Brits will prob remember. Sky was blue that day hence it darkened nicely when b&w filtered it. Too much colour detracted from it hence it's b&w now.

C&C welcome, unsure if harsh curves and dodge and burn a bit too much but wanted super contrasty. Trees create some nice shadows apart from one big blocky one and the tree in the way I don't like but can't cut it down. Looked creepier than it did in colour.

creepy house

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: creepy house

Personally I love the extreme contrast, I think it works beautifully. (That sky is gorgeous!)

If only there were no footprints in the snow, that would have completed the creepy effect!

Oh, and I had to giggle just a little bit that that much snow is considered memorable in Britain. Having grown up in Ontario, Canada and spent the last six years in Ottawa, what you have in that picture would be considered an unusually small accumulation, especially by January! My most memorable snowfall is the 80cm that we got over a period of five days back in March 2008. Now THAT was something to see!

Real Name
    Richard

You should see the effect that it has!

People have no experience of snow driving, no chains, the gritting network is limited, no snow ploughs and most people have summer tyres. The country pretty much grinded to a halt.

Great picture, I'd quite like to see it with the aerial and telephone wire cloned out to have more of a timeless feel.

Real Name
    David

Davey - What a remarkable eerie and creepy shot. I'm trying to work out why it has that effect on me and it's not just the high contrast although that's part of it. I think there is a rhythm of dark-light both vertically and horizontally that not only adds to the composition but enhances the unsettling nature of the image. The very white patch in front of the two seats really spooks me - very odd - submerged memory perhaps. It's not owned by someone called Bates is it? Norman Bates? Wherever it is I'm not going there

Cheers

David

Hehe he yeah the amusing that so little snow caused everything to grind to a halt including the gritters. What you can't see is the road next to it is a steep hill, in fact the whole area is on a hill but in east direction it is pretty sharp gradients so there was a LOT of issues with cars there. Ah never thought of cloning out the wires, I might do that. Nah no murderers live there (I hope) but there is a vampire (me but vegetarian so no harm ).

The footprints were mine and I didn't think until at the end of the path that I could have walked around to the other gate to get to exactly the same spot. I stuck more on my gallery but that one looked creepier than the others, the colour ones look quite different.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

The house is creepy but the image is nice...interesting.

Chuck