Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Printing

Real Name
    Mark

First Printing

hi Guys.

Just want to share that I just got my first printing since I acquired my D5000 last May.
    I was so excited as excited when I shot my first photo in my camera. The funny part was when the lady in the shop ask me what size in R ( 4R, 3R) do I want it to be printed out? I scratch my head and told her I have no idea. She look at the image and showed some paper sizes..to make the story short, we printed it in 4R.

I was happy with the result and give some of the copies to my friend.

Anyways, I'll be printing some my picture in future and maybe I could start to create my own photo portfolio.

Mark

Real Name
    David

Re: First Printing

Hi Mark - No image.... we must see this!

David

Real Name
    Mark

hi David.

I think you already saw them on Landscape section.

like this
    Landscapes
    Landscapes
    Landscapes

Mark

Real Name
    David

Mark - OK got them Thanks.

David

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    hi Guys.

Just want to share that I just got my first printing since I acquired my D5000 last May.
    I was so excited as excited when I shot my first photo in my camera. The funny part was when the lady in the shop ask me what size in R ( 4R, 3R) do I want it to be printed out? I scratch my head and told her I have no idea. She look at the image and showed some paper sizes..to make the story short, we printed it in 4R.

I was happy with the result and give some of the copies to my friend.

Anyways, I'll be printing some my picture in future and maybe I could start to create my own photo portfolio.

Mark
    Your lucky; I've had a couple printed, one I like a lot is actually blown on the ground, done on purpose, and the printers have corrected the exposure so now it is too dark overall. But also I thought I was getting a special offer of 25% off for PRINTS, but it turns out a PRINT is different to a POSTER and so I've been charged full price, nowhere on the voucher does it say anything about size, but also although the high street shop is in this country but they have moved their accounts to Germany and so I got charged by my bank for using my card overseas.

So I'm not happy this time round and wonder what I'm supposed to do to get a decent print.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    So I'm not happy this time round and wonder what I'm supposed to do to get a decent print.
    Been there, done that ... and reached the conclusion that the only way was to invest in a printer and appropriate profiling software and do them myself.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I think that is right Colin. At least a few hundred pounds worth possibly a lot more. cheers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes I think that is right Colin. At least a few hundred pounds worth possibly a lot more. cheers.
    Hi Steve,

It's possibly one of those "between the devil and the deep blue sea" types of things. In getting work printed commercially you face the issue of paying good money - being disappointed with the results - conflict with the printer - possibly paying more money - possibly still being unhappy with the results - rinse and repeat.

Doing it yourself you have relatively big initial outlay (although producing large prints works out a lot cheaper than commercial stuff) and believe me it's STILL possible to get results you don't like, but at least you can fix them and print them again right away, and reprinting them won't cost you as much). Additionally, you'll also learn along the way which helps to broaden our skill set and I believe make us more complete photographers.

Having taken that big step - personally - I'd never have it any other way now.

Real Name
    Mark

what printers are you using?

Mark