Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: how much highlight does a pic need?

Real Name
    Chris

how much highlight does a pic need?

looking through my 'orphans' which I didn't want to bin, but not sure how to finish, I came across this of a mini-tornado taken from the Malvern Hills looking towards the Black Mountains (one of my perennial challenges). Normally one would say 'too dark' or bring up the shadows, but maybe there is a time and place for having most of the frame very dark?? Views appreciated before bin or do noise removal/edges more carefully

URL instead of attachment
    http://www.pbase.com/image/106679870
    Last edited by crisscross; 4th December 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: how much highlight does a pic need?

I like images like these. It's one of those "as shot", where any sort of major editing would look fake. I'd clean up the noise and give it a nice border.

Mark

I agree with Mark - this is a very good 'moment in time' which does not need any changes - 5 minutes either way and perhaps that area of sunlight would not have been there - and I really like the way the lines of hills fade off into the distance. Don't bin it.

Cheers, Richard.

Real Name
    Chris

thank you Mark and Richard

another very different example on the theme of mostly dark pics. It is a credit to this forum that I think it will be looked at, whereas elsewhere the almost black thumbnail will mostly be by-passed or ignored

URL instead of attachment http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/image/106263652
    Last edited by crisscross; 4th December 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    thank you Mark and Richard

another very different example on the theme of mostly dark pics. It is a credit to this forum that I think it will be looked at, whereas elsewhere the almost black thumbnail will mostly be by-passed or ignored
    If people pass it by or ignore it - it would be their loss. It just shows that even the simple things can make a great shot - given the right lighting - and the right eye.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    looking through my 'orphans' which I didn't want to bin, but not sure how to finish, I came across this of a mini-tornado taken from the Malvern Hills looking towards the Black Mountains (one of my perennial challenges). Normally one would say 'too dark' or bring up the shadows, but maybe there is a time and place for having most of the frame very dark?? Views appreciated before bin or do noise removal/edges more carefully
    The patch of sunlight make this, together with the very dark and threatening clouds, the tornado drags the eye to the receding hills, its one of those that works and breaks most of the rules.

Keep it! A little more work and you have a good image.

Lincs1

Real Name
    Chris

Than you all for comments and encouragement