Thread: Images badly displayed on Internet Explorer

Images badly displayed on Internet Explorer

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been raised before, I searched but cannot find.
    After processing a RAW file and saving it on JPG (16bit) the image can appear quite different, read worst, from viewing the image on Windows Picture Viewer (100% same as viewed on Photoshop) to viewing on Internet Explorer.

On Internet Explorer, the very same image (file) looks very bad sometimes, but not on Picture Viewer. I don't understand this. And I am worry that my pictures appear quite bad on other people's PC.

Any remedies? Anyone experiencing the same?
    Thanks for your help.

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Images badly displayed on Internet Explorer

It’s all to do with embedded colour profiles and the way different browsers interpret them (or not). See this page:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html
    Last edited by timo2; 21st August 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelin pistake

Real Name
    Steve

IE is always fun and I gave up a long time ago. I tried to write a web page once and the thing thing that kept stopping me was IE and different versions do different things. Mostly Firefox and Safari are safe as is Opera but most of the fun serious web page designers have is thinking up another work round for another version of IE.

I like dark images and I had a look on my brothers computer and cor blimey I didn't mean that dark, and then I had a look in an internet cafe and some were ok ish, others were not so good and I found out my web page doesn't display at all.

Here's a shot I took of a girl on a bike, the first one is a screen shot of how the picture appears on Picture viewer and how it appears on Internet Explorer:

Windows Picture Viewer:

Internet Explorer:

Can you see the difference in colours?

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, nice girl.

That's clever though in it I'm lookin at it on IE.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes, nice girl.
    Yeah, and that muscular-looking guy in the background is giving the photographer the eye-ball

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Yeah, and that muscular-looking guy in the background is giving the photographer the eye-ball
    He's the guy who owns the bike, he was a little upset that I was stealing the girl's attention...

I'm no longer using Internet Explorer. Firefox does not give me this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco78 View Post
    He's the guy who owns the bike, he was a little upset that I was stealing the girl's attention...

I'm no longer using Internet Explorer. Firefox does not give me this issue.
    It's one thing to argue with a law-enforcement officer about photographic 'rights', but quite another to argue with a big muscular biker

I think you will find Firefox considerably better than IE. Check out the add-ons - some are very useful such as spell-checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It's one thing to argue with a law-enforcement officer about photographic 'rights', but quite another to argue with a big muscular biker

I think you will find Firefox considerably better than IE. Check out the add-ons - some are very useful such as spell-checkers.
    Wow.., now you make me read my posts again!

Real Name
    Steve

He's not going to bother you unless she says so

Real Name
    John

I've noticed the same thing as well, especially if the file was processed with photoshop elements as camera raw.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

OK, now that we're (hopefully) done with the IE bashing ...

... lets start helping with Marco's problem (as Tim pointed out).

Hi Marco,

As Tim mentioned, the issue is probably simply that you're posting your images when they're still set to either Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB colourspaces. If you're using Photoshop, then simply flatten the image and then click on Edit -> Convert to Profile (NOT assign profile), and select sRGB as the target colourspace.

Just to give you a bit more detail ...

Windowes Picture Viewer is what's termed a "colour managed" application, whereas Internet Explorer isn't - so when you view an image that's presented with an Adobe RGB or ProPhoto profile attached, Windows Picture Viewer will - in essence - convert it back to sRGB so that it displays correctly on your screen, whereas IE won't. You might think that "IE sucks because it's not colour management aware" (whereas the likes of firefox (and others) are), but the reality is that there are still a LOT of people viewing images with non-colour-managed browsers, and so if you keep posting images represented in bigger colourspaces then ALL of these people will be seeing your images as somewhat flat, somewhat under-saturated, and with hue shifts.

I wrote a little about what's going on here recently, along with some more in-depth stuff here if you're interested.

PS: You can't save as a 16 bit JPEG - so you'll either need to convert to 8 bit before saving, or use the save as a copy feature.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd August 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Colin, thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco78 View Post
    Colin, thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    No worries Marco.

And best of all, no IE installations were harmed during the solving of this problem