Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon picture style

Real Name
    Hakan

canon picture style

hi,

Do you use canon picture style for color correction? if your answer is yes why you prefer it.

thanks,
    hakan,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: canon picture style

Hakan

I am not clear about your question. I do not know what 'Canon Picture Style' is, so obviously the answer to that specific point is 'No'.

But are you meaning software to correct colour (white) balance and/or hue & saturation?
    Last edited by Donald; 12th August 2010 at 08:11 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by hurkmez View Post
    hi,

Do you use canon picture style for color correction? if your answer is yes why you prefer it.

thanks,
    hakan,
    Hi Hakan,

I must admit to being a little unsure of what you're asking too. Canon Picture Styles is a camera setting that applies various in-camera preferences to shots as they're captured - preferences for landscape / portraits / sports etc - they're not used for colour correction, although they may influence the colour of the shot (eg a landscape picture style may saturate the image too much if selected when shooting portraits.

Personally, I NEVER use picture styles -- for starters, picture styles aren't applied to RAW images unless you're using something like Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Aahh! I wasn't thinking about 'in-camera', It is obvious when Colin points it out.

No, I do not use Picture Styles.

Real Name
    Hakan

hi Colin,

yes i know. if you select picture style on camera menu them won't be applied your raw pictures.

But we can use picture styles during editing on pc. i'm curious about picture style editor. i tried to use it ones time. you can control all color very easily. But i don't know how to move my picture style setting to photoshop.

please, look this site http://web.canon.jp/imaging/pictures...r/basic04.html

PS: sorry for my english. i'm learning.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

hi Colin,

yes i know. if you select picture style on camera menu them won't be applied your raw pictures.

But we can use picture styles during editing on pc. i'm curious about picture style editor. i tried to use it ones time. you can control all color very easily. But i don't know how to move my picture style setting to photoshop.

please, look this site http://web.canon.jp/imaging/pictures...r/basic04.html

PS: sorry for my english. i'm learning.
    Hi Hakan,

The short answer is that there is no way of moving picture styles to Photoshop ... nor would I want to.

There's nothing that they do that I can't do better myself directly in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hakan

Thank you for providng the hyperlink to the explanation about Picture Style. I have now read this.

You say that, "you can control all color very easily". That is not clear from the guidance notes provided on the website. Given that all I have to rely on is that website, I would describe Picture Style as a very complicated tool.

I do not use Adobe products, but do know enough to know that all you could ever want in relation to colour control is included and the controls would be more straightforward to use.

Real Name
    Hakan

Hi Donald,

generally i'm using ps. but when i heard of picture style i looked into a little and maked own a few picture styles. now i can use them on my camera or on pc with picture style editor. it's very usefull and esay to quik control. And then i want to use this settings in photoshop but i can't do that.

PS: if you use canon camera i can send you my picture style file

Hakan,

I was caught out by this setting when I first purchased my 40D. I set this option to 'Natural' thinking it wouldn't make any changes, then wondered my my photos were looking so artificial and couldn't compare with my old 10D.

Eventually, I carefully read the book and realised that Natural was making auto 'enhancements' to my images. The setting for no adjustment is Faithful, which I always use now. Any adjustments, if required, can be made individually as necessary on my computer.

I also turn of the auto sharpness and saturation settings and adjust to my preferences during normal editing.

Real Name
    Hakan

Hi Geoff,

Do you take raw files or jpg? i'm use raw files and than my picture style settings doesn't seems in ACR (adobe camera raw). but if i open raw files in DPP it's seems.

i want to see my camera setting(picture style, ...) in ACR but i can't

Hakan,

Real Name
    Ben

Picture Styles (I have a Nikon, which calls them Picture Controls but it's the same idea) are only used by people who do not want to do any post processing of their photos. Those who do want to post process use the RAW image. Picture Styles/Controls do not affect the RAW image. A Nikon RAW image has an embedded jpeg used to display the image and that jpeg does utilize the Picture Controls information, and then only if you are using Nikon's software. ACR creates a jpeg from the RAW without using Picture Controls and I think that is preferable since I know what I am working with - so that is actually an advantage. I shoot RAW + jpeg so I can have it both ways .

I mostly shoot Raw, Hakan, but even then I need to check the embedded Jpeg on the camera display screen to make sure that my Raw images are roughly on the correct lines, which is why I need true natural looking Jpeg images.

As I am not using Adobe software, I convert the Raw files with Raw Therapee (which I find reasonably good although very temperamental) then edit further with Serif Photo Plus.

Previously I have used DPP but although I found it adequate for basic work, I am getting better results with RT.

I am well aware of the lack of shooting information on some (in fact many) editing programmes. DPP is certainly good in this respect but after editing with Photo Plus (which retains Exif details reasonably well with Jpeg but isn't as good with Tiff) and then export the images into a different folder all shooting details are lost and won't now show in DPP.

There doesn't appear to be any uniformity between software with these details.

Real Name
    Hakan

Thanks Geoff,

i always shoot RAW, and use ps for editing. When i move files to my computer. first i balance exposure with ACR and then continious with ps.

i love to ps. becouse usually i'm using layers and correct body shape with liquify. have a lot of difrent photography plug-in works with ps too.

thanks all for your reply

Hakan,

As well as checking White Balance, I like to get the exposure approximately correct and do 'capture sharpening' (300 at 0.3 radius) with Unsharp Mask during the Raw conversion procedure.

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

I use Canon DPP. I mostly just change the white balance if needed, but then found the picture style drop down thing. I'm pretty sure that you can adjust the picture style using this, then save with DPP. When you open the photo in PS, all the adjustments should be there. If you do use the picture style tool, I would recomend staying away from the monochrome option, simply because the PS version is waaaaayyyyyyy better.

Real Name
    David

Hi Hakan - I've come to this thread somewhat late, but to address your original question, I do not use Pictures Styles to do run-of-the mill colour correction, but I do use the facility a great deal for all sorts of effects. For example, the technique of selective desaturation can be carried out using Picture Styles whereby you select the colours you do not want, desaturate them, tweak what remains if you wish and then save the Picture Styles file. You can then load that into your DPP software or camera. (This is a sort of advanced "splash colour" technique.) If you don't like it then the RAW file is not harmed. No doubt, Adobe worshippers will tell you that it can all be done in Photoshop at half the cost and in a hundreth of the time, but that means you have to have Photoshop and are contributing to its hegemony over the image editing software market.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Richard

Canon Picture Styles...

I never use them. When they were first introduced on the Canon 40D, I was quite excited. I thought that I could pre-select varied camera parameters and then select these parameter sets with the User Selected Styles. I would love to see this in future cameras.

This is what I mean by the complicated statement above... If I use a standard set of camera controls for sports such as: High Speed Burst, ISO 400, focus spot, etc... I could then select these varied parameters with a twist of a dial, instead of selecting each parameter individually.

In a way, it would be like the dummy settings of portrait, sports, landscape, etc.; except that I would be able to select the varied parameters and also use these with RAW capture.

Canon already has this capability in a very reduced degree using the dummy settings... Wouldn't it be nice to either be able to select paremeters using user controlled settings or to be able to adjust the dummy settings through the camera menu?

Real Name
    David

Hi Richard - I'm a bit confused by some of what you suggest. Can you not set up your own set of parameters and register them on C1, C2, C3 user settings? Maybe you mean something else. However, I agree that a useful facility would be for all settings to be available via computer software, presumably DPP, such that you could set up your own defined set and then download it (or them) to your camera. I find setting parameters on camera, and then registering them leaves me with ones I've forgotten to re-set to what they had been - if you see what I mean.

The Picture Styles software is really for something quite different - it's a sort of sophisticated saturation, hue and lightness editor. Someone or some team at Canon has spent a lot of time and effort producing the software, but unless the user puts an equal amount of effort in then it then it is not much use. Personally, I like it for specific things that, once set up, can be carried out with a couple of mouse clicks. For example, I've been looking at IR photography and there are issues with white balance in order to get rid of red and blue casts. I've set up several "grey" balance settings using Picture Styles and simply call these up via DPP to see what effect they have on an image. This is more technical than creative, but Picture Styles turns out to be the tool for the job.

Cheers

David

Hi David.
    Would it be possible for you to send me your PSE file regarding selective desaturation. I intended to create one but did not understood very well the software.

Thanks for your help

Hi Donald,

generally i'm using ps. but when i heard of picture style i looked into a little and maked own a few picture styles. now i can use them on my camera or on pc with picture style editor. it's very usefull and esay to quik control. And then i want to use this settings in photoshop but i can't do that.

PS: if you use canon camera i can send you my picture style file

Hakan,
    Hi Hakan,

i am using Canon, and i am looking for Picture style file for selective desaturation. Do you have some?

Regards

Djibouille

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast