Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Butterfly

Butterfly

I am plunking this into the post processing forum because I have a question about that curious blue halo around the details in the butterflies head, the flower, etc.

I've tried every slider but can't figure out which one is doing it. It's not in the original.

Any other C&C would be welcome, though, too, on pp or in general. This was taken with the "new" (to me) Sigma 105mm macro lens. Any tips, if you use this lens, would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!!!

Butterfly

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Butterfly

Hi Katy! I am not too sure about whats goin on with the halo, but somehow I feel that there is too much light/brightness in the background and on the flower. The part of the flower that the butterfly is feeding on has nice color and has some detail that you would expect from a macro lens. Can you post the original? I would try lessening the contrast and just a liitle sharpness. Hope this helps.

Hi Katy Noelle,
    First, if you are interested, that is a Comma Angelwing (Polygonia comma) butterfly.
    Second - I gotta agree with Joe. I feel it's too bright.
    I've noticed I'll get halos when I bump up the definition too much, so that may be something to consider.
    Overall, I like the capture and it's a good representation of the butterfly. I would just play around more with the exposure.
    Hope this helps!
    frankie

Thanks, Joe and Frankie! I haven't settled on it as my favorite pick or the bunch or not, yet, I just am not sure what's caused those weird halos. (edit: oh, don't mind me - I'm tired! I'm really pleased with this one - it's my first serious try with a butterfly. Is it really a good representation of it?) Hm! Nothing is blown on the histogram and I was thinking high key but, when I was going through the rest of the batch, I liked the original, darker, RAW version better. That should be telling me something. Thank you for the good feedback!

oh, and, yes, Frankie - I was interested in what its name is... I recognize the butterfly but, somehow, think that others won't know the name "that one!"
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 26th August 2011 at 02:31 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Katy. Can you determine when the halo first appeared? When I get halos that aren't part of the original image, it's usually because I've been a bit to aggressive with my sharpening settings. I've learned to not push the sharpening past the point where halos appear. Yours may be from a different source but sharpening can cause them, particularly at the borders of light and dark objects.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Katy. Can you determine when the halo first appeared? When I get halos that aren't part of the original image, it's usually because I've been a bit to aggressive with my sharpening settings. I've learned to not push the sharpening past the point where halos appear. Yours may be from a different source but sharpening can cause them, particularly at the borders of light and dark objects.
    That gives me an idea! I have a 'history' with Lightroom, now, and can simply go back and see when it appeared.

Also, I'm embarrassed to say it - I am sharpening first and only using a preset. Looking at the RAW is new and, still, unsettling for me. I'm seeing an awful lot of things that I need to "get over" in my jump to the new editing software - for example, too heavy handed with it all! I have to confess, I went back to iphoto for the last blog post that I had done (not in the photo journal - the other one with the blurry pics.) I just needed to remember where I've been with my development and what I was starting to want my 'look' to be. (Hope that makes sense.) I can feel things getting better, all the time, though.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I can feel things getting better, all the time, though.
    It's all part of the learning process. Glad to see that you're making progress!