Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An alternate lens for my first SLR camera

An alternate lens for my first SLR camera

Here I am again. Along with the camera (previous post) I would like to buy a Tele lens. And this time I have three options.
    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G or,
    Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO

Again, I am a beginner and I would like to choose the best price/quality ratio lens.
    Thanks again in advance from Chile,
    Cheers!
    Christian

Real Name
    David

Re: An alternate lens for my first SLR camera

Hi Christian - Issues about which make of camera is better or best are dealt with in a number of previous posts on this site. However, in brief, some key issues are:
    a) all the big name camera manufacturers make good cameras;
    b) when you buy a prosumer DSLR you are buying into a system, not just the camera but the lenses, the firmware, the software, the "lifestyle" image of the manufacturer;
    c) third party lens providers, eg Sigma, supply lenses for most of the big makes, so while you will be restricted to, say Canon fits for lenses if you buy a Canon, you can get good equipment from Sigma and Tamron and others;
    d) what you can choose depends on your budget, but generally get the best you can;
    e) finally, go to a supplier and check out the feel and response of different makes, take along a flash card and ask to be allowed to take some shots with the different makes. Go back and check these out on a photo editor. There is no doubt that different people respond differently to the feel of cameras and see things differently in the digital images, particularly image colours.

Regarding the tele lenses that you mention, I have the Sigma 70-300mm lens and I find it very good indeed, and less expensive than the Canon equivalent. The Macro facility is an added bonus. You will have guessed that I'm a Canon man, but don't let that stop you making your own choice!

Good Luck

David

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: An alternate lens for my first SLR camera

Hello Christian,

As David says, the information you're after is very much covered in previous threads. It's really worth having a "root" through as newcomers often overlook this wealth of knowledge.

Mark