Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: canon 40D/50D upgrade

Real Name
    Paul

canon 40D/50D upgrade

as me and the wife both use my 400D alot.which cause problems when we both wont to use it.so i'm looking to upgrade to a 40D or 50D.i'm not into the megapixels race and i know the 50 has bells and whistles.but will i gain much with the 50 over the 40

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: canon 40D/50D upgrade

Take a look at the recent 50D review just posted on dpreview. Both the 40D and 50D will be a big improvement over the 400D, but I think you would probably do just fine with the 40D right now. Consider putting the the money you've saved towards an extra or better lens.

Real Name
    Richard

I use a 30D and a 40D in a two camera setup and absolutely love both cameras. However, if pressed, I would give the nod to the 40D because of sensor cleaning, larger LCD, sightly better viewfinder and focus capabilities and especially for the three user designated camera settings which can be accessed on the mode dial. These can allow you to choose and register three sets of shooting parameters (ISO, exposure type, focus, burst etc., etc.) and select them on the mode dial. This is very helpful to me because it is a quick way to change parameters between diferent shooting situations.

Here is a link to the 40D manual in pdf format.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/O...40D-Manual.pdf

I have not used the 50D but, have read many less than flattering reviews.

However, here is a pdf version of the 50D manual:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/030000...os50d-h-en.pdf

The price of a 40D (being that it is a discontinued model) should be well below that of a 50D. At least that is the case here in the US where the 40D prices seem to fall on a weekly basis.

The addition of video capability of the 50D might interest some photographers but, to tell you the truth - that capability leaves me totally flat!

However, I believe that you fill find both the 40D and 50D (as well as the 30D) a camera that is easier and more fun with which to shoot. IMO the control systems of the xxD cameras are far better than the control systems of the xxxD cameras. I also love the top LCD panel of the xxD models which provides information about shooting parameters by just looking down at the top of the camera.

By the way, batteries and remote releases are not interchangeable between the xxD and xxxD cameras if that matters to you...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st October 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

cheers for the input.i'll be going with a 40D plus i've been offered a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM cheap.

For a good overivew of the 40D vs 50D choice check out this article.

Partly on that advice, and partly on other research, I opted for the 40D. One never knows about the road not taken but, so far, I'm REALLY happy with my choice. The camera weighs a bit more than I thought it would but the photos it takes are really great.

Real Name
    Paul

cheers for that very interesting and i'm still going with 40D

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    For a good overivew of the 40D vs 50D choice check out this article.

Partly on that advice, and partly on other research, I opted for the 40D. One never knows about the road not taken but, so far, I'm REALLY happy with my choice. The camera weighs a bit more than I thought it would but the photos it takes are really great.
    Excellent Article. thank you for posting the link...