Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Time

Real Name
    Peter

Winter Time

I live in the state of Victoria, Australia and most of our historical buildings were built out of timber; the main available building material at the time. It also happens that that our local ‘natural disaster’ is bush fires, so we do not have a lot historical buildings left.

Government/public buildings were made from bluestone and have survived. Here is a clock tower on top of the local post office in Kyneton, Vic. I do not shoot a lot of architecture but have decided to have a go.

Winter Time

Real Name
    John

Re: Winter Time

Peter,

With structures such as this in your area please take up the habit of photographing architecture and keep posting. Could you include your camera model and settings and time of day so that critiques can be informative. Even without looking at the clock I would suspect that the photo was taken during the afternoon because of the intense light which can overexpose an image. When shooting during the day, and you have control over shutter speed and aperture, use a combination of fast shutter speed and smaller aperture to limit the amount of light that reaches the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I live in the state of Victoria, Australia and most of our historical buildings were built out of timber; the main available building material at the time. It also happens that that our local ‘natural disaster’ is bush fires, so we do not have a lot historical buildings left.

Government/public buildings were made from bluestone and have survived. Here is a clock tower on top of the local post office in Kyneton, Vic. I do not shoot a lot of architecture but have decided to have a go.

Winter Time

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Winter Time

Hi Shadowman,

Thanks for your reply. The image was taken early afternoon in winter sunlight. Shooting details were: -

Nikon D300s
    1/500 sec
    f/7.0
    ISO: 200
    70 - 300 lens @ 180mm

I have printed this shot and have not lost detail in the building although it looks a little over exposed in the screen shot. I would also appreciate any thoughts on the subject matter and composition. I normally shoot landscapes and birds and I am trying to hone my vision on architecture.