Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Who needs a 5D?

Who needs a 5D?

I ditched the 5D today and took (once again) to the Epson scanner. I've done this sort of thing before, but there is an article in this week's Amateur Photographer on scanning flowers which uses a slightly different technique. You need a scanner that scans film strips/slides. You place the flower in the slide strip and the exposure light above is just wide enough to scan a small flower. In the dialogue for the scanner you set document type to 'film', and film type to 'positive', with 48bit colour and resolution of 1200. On my scanner you can do a preview, then select a marque tool which allows you to just select the flower area to scan (rather than the whole strip). Then you scan it. In PS you invert the image to get a negative and then play around with the channel mixer to get different colours.

Needs further refinement, I think, but interesting. C&C along the lines of 'Rob has finally lost it' sort of welcome...

Who needs a 5D?

Who needs a 5D?

Who needs a 5D?

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Re: Who needs a 5D?

Love the color tune on the 3rd image(Broken).

Real Name
    Rick

As long as you're through with that 5D, Rob, I'll PM you my address. I'll even pay the shipping charges.

These are very cool - like transmission electron microscope, but in color. I really like the fern: very ethereal.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    As long as you're through with that 5D, Rob, I'll PM you my address.
    I'll drive down to you over the weekend to pick it up!

C&C along the lines of 'Rob has finally lost it' sort of welcome.
    Well, didn't want to come out and say it, but ....

Fascinating to discover how outcomes can be achieved by a number of different means. Thanks Rob.

Very interesting indeed. I particularly like number 3. If you were not losing it we would not enjoy your work half as much. Don't look to hard for those marbles. I think mine are down the back of the settee.

I think Jessops do a neck strap for that particular scanner. It would sure as hell confuse the gear heads on POTN.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I think Jessops do a neck strap for that particular scanner. It would sure as hell confuse the gear heads on POTN.

Steve
    For God's sake don't tell 'em. They'll be starting threads bragging about what scanner they have...

Real Name
    Robert S.

Rob, do not forget to give Donald all your macro lenses also when he is going to pick up your camera...... (Normally I would insert a smiley here, but Rob wiped them all out.)

I like "Broken" most.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Rob, do not forget to give Donald all your macro lenses also when he is going to pick up your camera...... (Normally I would insert a smiley here, but Rob wiped them all out.)

Robert
    He can have the Ferarri too - it will get him back to Scotland quicker.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Hell's teeth. By the time I get there, it'll all be gone! Part of the disadvantage of living at the @^$3 end of the world.

But seriously, if we can be for a moment, this is a great idea. Not "pure" photography, whatever that may be, but another interesting and well executed innovation.

For God's sake don't tell 'em. They'll be starting threads bragging about what scanner they have...
    Imagine the gear lists. I can see the response to me trying to photograph a wedding with my scanner.....You cannot possibly be a serious wedding photographer with an HP4670...how dare you presume to be a wedding scanner with Rebel series scanner. You need a scanner with an L in the spec and a red ring around the lid. You will never get both the bride and grooms head in an upright like that.

I did start to think if WireVixen would volunteer to scan her.....and quickly pushed the thought from my head....although glamour photography with a scanner is an interesting concept....mmmmm

Steve

Real Name
    Robert S.

*lol*

I would prefer a model that supports memory cards. And of couse not not forget to put an 1500VA UPS in your backpack. During a wedding no one can afford to run out of power.

bye
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I did start to think if WireVixen would volunteer to scan her.....and quickly pushed the thought from my head....although glamour photography with a scanner is an interesting concept....mmmmm

Steve
    I'm reminded (because it's pleasant) of all those occasions in corporate world during the 1990's, slaving away for global business domination deep in some stygian crypt of an office in London. Our only source of entertainment was scanning the rude bits on the Xerox and emailing/faxing them to the competition. Scanners are great...

But the 5D is slightly better.