Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Every angle covered

Real Name
    Steve

Every angle covered

First time at the 'Midland Railway Centre' and it was a very hot day, I was boiling, tired due to an adventure travelling cross country on different bus services with a backpack but I left the tripod at home, and as usual I make mistake after mistake and would therefore like some opinion about how to improve these.

The first is on my walk to the museum and the first shot; this place doesn't open until 10am and bus's can't get me here ealier than 10:15am.

The museum is about a mile down the path between the trees and field on the left, can you see it, well it is about half a mile but you have to cross the line in several places and double back.

Every angle covered

Every angle covered

Every angle covered

Every angle covered

Every angle covered

Cheers

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Every angle covered

Hi, Steve;

These are very nice shots: I don't exactly see "mistake after mistake."

In #1, I might rotate it a bit to the left: it appears that different things are at different angles, but since the switching house is the main subject, it might feel best if that's mostly vertical.

#3 seems to be struggling for a focal point: it's a nice image, and the clouds are very well captured, it doesn't seem to have an overall story.

#4 is my favorite. I love the clocks and mechanisms. The shadows are a bit dark, but I don't imagine you could do much better without blowing what's coming in through the windows: I think the exposure is handled well. What I think would improve it would be if the handle that's pulled forward were one of the ones at the far end. I don't know if these handles still control switches, or if you or someone there can change their position. Or maybe shoot from the far side? The line of handles is wonderful, but that one stuck out at the front doesn't help at all.

All in all, a very nice series.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Rick; the handles do move and I pulled the first one, should have been the last one. A few are connected to the miniature narrow gauge railway but it is a demonstration switching house lifted from Syerston just for the amusement of people like me. I was told it is alright to play with it.

Real Name
    Terry

Hey Steve.

Hope everything is going your way, man!

When I first saw these photos of yours I had to stop and try to figure out how you ran across a vintage switching station (levers, gears, wheels, etc.) Not to mention the high wire poles. I have a few antique glass insulators from when high wire poles were the norm. I apologize for not reading carefully your description of the location. I got excited! What can I say?

I guess that’s why I like all of this sweet series. #2 speaks to me. I also especially like # 4 as well. I don’t know if having the first lever pulled adds or subtracts, or if you had a few pulled, or just the last one…

But what I do like is that there is a certain randomness in not having them all in one position. That is how a switching station would look were it in active service.

Looks to me like you done good. If I could make mistake after mistake that well, I’d be a Happy Camper!

Real Name
    Steve

Thank you very much Terry, that is praise indeed because your photo's are wonderful.