Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Male Orange Tip Butterfly

Male Orange Tip Butterfly

It has taken me a couple of years to get this photo so I just wanted to share it with any other macro enthusiasts.

This species isn't rare and it appears to be a particularly good year for them.

The trouble is that some species, like this one, just won't sit still long enough for me to sneak up, tripod in hand, and get a good focus. They have been regularly flying around my head and I even saw one fly between the tripod legs! I have had a few perch just a few feet away, but hidden behind some foliage of course.

I my be getting unnecessary paranoid but I'm sure I could hear them laughing!

Eventually, I managed this one photo. I know it isn't perfectly sharp but it is the best I can manage so far.

Other species are fine, even some of the less common varieties, and I managed reasonable photos of 5 other species today.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 21st June 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: extra paragraph

Real Name
    Petra

Re: Male Orange Tip Butterfly

I love this. Especially the fuzzy little head. You are so lucky. I have spent so much time standing under my Butterfly Bush trying for a shot like this, but the little critters never land! I'm starting to wonder why it's called a Butterfly Bush.

Petra

Real Name
    Rick

It's a great shot, Geoff. I know exactly how you feel: we have a little white one that acts like a fly, and flits away as soon as you get close. Some day, I'll find one who's sleepy. Or it will drive me to rent a 1200mm lens.

Cheers,
    Rick

Yes try to catch them fairly early in the morning when it is a bit cooler and they are still a bit sluggish can help. Or later in the day after they have had a good nectar dinner.

But at this time of the year, females are busy laying eggs while males are frantically rushing around searching for any spare females.

I have learnt that it is best to take one long range shot before advancing, so at least I have something in the camera; then try to hide behind the camera while moving forwards. And wear plain coloured clothing.

But so often I start an unexpected chain reaction, I step on a twig which is connected to a bit of trailing foliage which in turn moves another longer twig which is attached to the flower on which my intended subject is sitting, and away it flies!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another lovely thing about this forum is that you learn so much about things you knew nothing about. Love my garden, but know very little about it (I just push the lawnmower about) and all the things that crawl and fly about in it. But I am not well informed about them either. So, thanks for this Geoff.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Yes try to catch them fairly early in the morning when it is a bit cooler and they are still a bit sluggish can help. Or later in the day after they have had a good nectar dinner.

But at this time of the year, females are busy laying eggs while males are frantically rushing around searching for any spare females.
    I'll try the morning/afternoon - better for light, as well.

I have learnt that it is best to take one long range shot before advancing, so at least I have something in the camera; then try to hide behind the camera while moving forwards. And wear plain coloured clothing.

But so often I start an unexpected chain reaction, I step on a twig which is connected to a bit of trailing foliage which in turn moves another longer twig which is attached to the flower on which my intended subject is sitting, and away it flies!
    See, that's why they're laughing: those are tripwires they've set.

Cheers,
    Rick

And just to show that some butterflies make good and willing models

A Green Hairstreak having a satisfying meal of Bramble Flower Nectar. These are much more approachable.