Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Say Hello to Barry!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Say Hello to Barry!

Last Friday I had the pleasure of meeting fellow CiC member Barry Doig ("barrydoig") - and of course what meeting would be complete without a quick photo opportunity! (Posted here with Barry's permission, of course).

1/125th @ F11 @ ISO 200 (reduced by 1 stop in PP - note to self: "ALWAYS trust light meter over TV!) @ 85mm.

Say Hello to Barry!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: Say Hello to Barry!

Hi Barry - nice to virtually meet you.

#waves from across the ditch#

Real Name
    Myra

Hello, Barry. That is an impressive portrait that Colin has created. Your family and friends will love it!

Myra

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Hello, Barry. That is an impressive portrait that Colin has created. Your family and friends will love it!
    Hi Myra,

All I had to do was press the shutter release - the pose / prop was all Barry's (instinctive) idea.

Real Name
    Ali

I second Myra. This is an excellent portrait, Colin! Everything is perfect, although personally I would use a Canon SLR

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    I second Myra. This is an excellent portrait, Colin! Everything is perfect, although personally I would use a Canon SLR
    Hi Ali,

Thanks for the kind words

We only had two cameras ... so if Barry was holding my Canon, I'd have had to have taken the shot with Barry's Nikon, and then of course the photo wouldn't have been as good!

(just kidding Barry!)

It's a good shot, Colin, but I'm curious about one thing - is that a 1D or a 5D around his neck?

And you should always trust the light meter.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It's a good shot, Colin, but I'm curious about one thing - is that a 1D or a 5D around his neck?
    It said Nikon on the camera and on the strap, but I guess you can never be 100% sure

And you should always trust the light meter.
    Good advice - I must remember that

Real Name
    Carol

Hello Barry, nice to see you in this wonderful portrait by Colin.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Barry and Colin,

Nice portrait, whoever is responsible

Real Name
    Rick

Nice shot, Colin. And nice to meet you, Barry. It would be really expensive for all of us to visit NZ, so I think Colin needs a round-the-world trip. He can stay a few days with each CiC member, and do portraits for us. Far better than PAD.

I really like the classic, simple frame for this image.

What's on the Nikon's lens that makes it so non-reflecting? Is that a white-balance kind of thing?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    What's on the Nikon's lens that makes it so non-reflecting? Is that a white-balance kind of thing?
    I bet it is a reflection of the polystyrene panel Colin uses as a fill reflector, you know, the 4 foot by 8 foot one.

Either that, or some blur/cloning went on to remove a distracting reflection.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I bet it is a reflection of the polystyrene panel Colin uses as a fill reflector, you know, the 4 foot by 8 foot one.

Either that, or some blur/cloning went on to remove a distracting reflection.
    Hi Rick & Dave,

I did use the polystyrene panel, but it wouldn't have been visible in the lens from that angle -- so it'll just be an under-lit section of white wall or white ceiling behind me (most of the ceiling is painted black, but there's a small "false ceiling" at the shooting end.

So no cloning for that reason, although I did fix what appeared to be a small dent in the thread.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    I agree. However, Nikon is also a good camera.
    I used to shoot with one when I was younger.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Rick & Dave,

I did use the polystyrene panel, but it wouldn't have been visible in the lens from that angle -- so it'll just be an under-lit section of white wall or white ceiling behind me (most of the ceiling is painted black, but there's a small "false ceiling" at the shooting end.

So no cloning for that reason, although I did fix what appeared to be a small dent in the thread.
    It doesn't look like a reflection to me: no part of the lens hood appears, which I think it would from that angle. Maybe not. Not a big deal, but having something non-reflective is one of those things with pros and cons. It makes the shot more predictable, but having reflections could have been interesting. So I wondered if it was done intentionally.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Hi Rick,

It doesn't look like a reflection to me: no part of the lens hood appears, which I think it would from that angle.
    I think it's just starting to appear on the [camera] right side of the lens (it's not quite round) (more obvious on the full resolution original).

Maybe not. Not a big deal, but having something non-reflective is one of those things with pros and cons. It makes the shot more predictable, but having reflections could have been interesting. So I wondered if it was done intentionally.
    I only shot about 12 frames, with Barry choosing different poses. On a couple I had to get him to alter the angle of the lens because it was reflecting the key light back to me, but apart from that there wasn't any special treatment. To be honest, 9 times out of 10 reflections from things like that are more of a liability than an assett.

Real Name
    Barry Doig

Hi everyone. Thank you for your welcome. It really was great to meet Colin on Friday and to have him take my photo. He did a good job in making me look years younger. My camera is a Nikon D200 which I've had for about 2 years. It does everything I want a camera to do except make the coffee. I have used Nikons for the last 25 years starting with an F401 won in a competition, then an F801. Before that I've had a Canon AE1, AT1 and more recently my first digital was a Canon G5. I'm not into comparing brands. It's what you do with the camera that matters not what the camera does with you. I've been an avid slide worker for 40 years and last year I shed a little tear as they announced the demise of my beloved Kodachrome.
    I'm enjoying being in CIC and I hope to learn heaps.
    Barry

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

I think it's just starting to appear on the [camera] right side of the lens (it's not quite round) (more obvious on the full resolution original).
    Dave was right, I was wrong: I'm used to it by now.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Dave was right, I was wrong: I'm used to it by now.
    Nah, Dave had two guesses and got both wrong (this time )

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Barry good portrait Colin.

Chuck