Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Maintenance Deferred

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Maintenance Deferred

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd post these. I took the pictures a couple years ago when shooting some property for an organization. These abandoned buildings were on the property and I found them very interesting. I was too busy to try for any artsy shots but I found them interesting and just recently worked them up.

Chuck

First an abandoned house, rather small so likely a bunk-house

Maintenance Deferred

Second an abandoned barn

Maintenance Deferred

Re: Maintenance Deferred

Those are two very interesting compositions. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Rick

I like both, Chuck, but especially the second. It has a feel, like depression-era photos, and great composition: I like the gate, with the tall post on the left, and the strong diagonal. Just curious, did you look at it in monochrome?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks Rick and eNo.....I got the term "maintenance deferred" from the realtor that listed the family ranch when I sold it a few years ago. The ranch I grew up on borders this place. For the most part ranching is a way of life, not a way to make money. We all remember the rancher who said, "Ranching made me a millionaire." Then he adds, "I started out as a multi-millionaire." Much of ranching is not far from the "depression-era."

Chuck

Real Name
    Rick

You know, you have the makings of one of those posters that are hung around offices all the time (I'm not trying to insult you: really ), complete with tag line.

I'll bet the second image, along with the words, "Maintenance Deferred," would go over big with facilities engineering groups, electronics and aircraft maintenance, people like that. It's a beautiful shot, and everyone who runs an organization would love the thought.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chuck

What brilliant subject matter!! I could've spent hours there with a camera. I particualrly like #2. The whole image is well put together. One question - What would it look like if you were to crop at the bottom to just above 'photography' in your watermark, turning it more into a 3:1 aspect ratio? That would 'lower' the barn, have less land and, proportionally, more sky.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I will experiment with your suggested crop Donald. I did wrestle with where to make the crop at the time. Ultimately, I cropped it to a 10x20 inch (1:2) aspect ratio because it's a common print size and one for which one can find ready-made frames. I do tend to crop to print standard aspect ratios with the frame issue in mind. I don't make frames and it's expensive to order custom frames. I have an image that looks good at 12x46 and it costs over $100 to frame it so I'm sensitive to size and aspect ratios and usually allow my artistic license to expire at the edge of frame-friendly aspect ratios.

Thank you for the suggestion...I will try it. Also, thank you Rick for the kind words.

Chuck